Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
27-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #1

I have an allotment!!!

True

I applied a couple of weeks ago . . . they said on the council website that there was a 4 month waiting list at the allotment site I was interested in, but a letter came through today - together with a gate key and a small map telling us to go and have a look and let them know if we're interested!!!

I think this is going to be SUCH fun

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
27-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #2

Re: I have an allotment!!!

Oh wow!
Kazz, you and me - we'll have to start an allotment sub forum!
What are you planning? Have to see it first I guess. Hope it's not too overgrown.
If you possibly can, get some posts and wires up and plant some summer raspberries now. They'll repay you in spades in the summer and summers to come.
You can put other soft fruit bushes too.
You can get your garlic in now, and jerusalem artichikes for next year (take care - they invade like mad) (I'll send you half a dozen tubers if you want) and order your asparagus to go in in the spring.
Don't go crazy - slow and steady is the best way.
Have you still got the carpet from the room refurb? They make great weed suppressants for parts of the allotment whilst you're working on another.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
27-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #3

how fab Yola, I'm very envious of you lot with your allotments lol. My little veggie patch should hopefully be ready for spring planting.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #4

That's wonderful Yola, you can't beat home-grown veg...

Maybe you could let Dominik have his own little patch there where he could plant his own seeds and look after them..

Catsey Veteran

27-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #5

Mags, yes . . . the idea is that the boys will be fully involved and certainly Domi will have his own 'patch'! Good thing is that it's on the way home from his school so when the days get longer we can stop off on the way back. Beats sitting infront of the TV or fighting with his brother

Hilary . . . WOAH girl LOL!! I can't even keep a tomato plant alive in a pot in the back garden so don't scare the knickers off me with all that techno talk - those are things I've only ever seen on supermarket shelves up to now

Seriously, I want to go and have a look at it, I've no idea what size the plot is or what is there. Once we've had a shufty - hopefully on Saturday - I'll take some pics and we'll go from there. I won't have masses of time to spend there so what gets planted will need to be quite self-sufficient I then need to get my Mum's old trusted Reader's Digest brick of a garden book out and do some research and planning.

But an allotment thread certainly might be an idea for complete gardening numpties like me to glean a few good ideas

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #6

Great good luck Yola.

Have to say that my garden has become too big for me to cope with as far as digging and general maintenance goes. This very morning I have "interviewed" a gardener - he starts next week!

Catsey Veteran

27-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #7

How exciting Angie!!! Any special plans or is the gardener just going to keep things 'ticking over' for you?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
27-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #8

Will you have a bee hive in your allotment Yola?

Catsey Veteran

27-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #9

Hmmm. OH might be interested . . . worth a thought

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #10

Just keeping things a bit tidier atm Yola - I have enough weeds to keep him busy for a while!