Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-05-2015, 11:31 PM   #1

Cat Hair

Cassie seems to moult all year round and I find it's an endless job removing hair from the furniture and carpets. I've tried lint rollers, rubber gloves, sellotape ..... even after using a Furminator I still find hair everywhere

What method do you use to keep it under control?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
12-05-2015, 08:39 AM   #2

Re: Cat Hair

We are lucky as out of our 3 furbabies, Skye is the only 1 who really casts. We use the furminator on her and a lint roller everywhere else and it seems to work

Catsey Veteran

12-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

pet hair can be difficult, i have lived with a Dalmation,lol
Fortunately our two Basenjis don't lose much hair at all.
Sorry Mags i know that isn't much help to you

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
13-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #4

I've had great results with a" Fur Away" pet fur remover. It's an American fur removal product - looks like a big piece of meteorite that you hold in your hand and sweep it over fabric and carpets. It hasn't been available in NZ for long but seems to work great with very little effort.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #5

I've found this product useful for flat surfaces, such as our bed - our two sleep on it during the day and sometimes we all sleep in and on it at night! Pip will allow me to use the Furminator sometimes but Kizzy won't! This also gets Dora's hair off chairs easily. Monty, being a Schnauzer doesn't shed, thankfully.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...d-lint-remover

Global Moderator

13-05-2015, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
pet hair can be difficult, i have lived with a Dalmation,lol
Fortunately our two Basenjis don't lose much hair at all.
Sorry Mags i know that isn't much help to you
Thanks Shelley, maybe I should swop Cassie for a Basenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky
I've had great results with a" Fur Away" pet fur remover. It's an American fur removal product - looks like a big piece of meteorite that you hold in your hand and sweep it over fabric and carpets. It hasn't been available in NZ for long but seems to work great with very little effort.
Thanks for the reply Dinky - the Fur Away sounds good but unfortunately I don't think we have it in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I've found this product useful for flat surfaces, such as our bed - our two sleep on it during the day and sometimes we all sleep in and on it at night! Pip will allow me to use the Furminator sometimes but Kizzy won't! This also gets Dora's hair off chairs easily. Monty, being a Schnauzer doesn't shed, thankfully.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...d-lint-remover
The Hair and Lint remover sounds just the job, Angie.... thanks for the suggestion I think a visit to Pets at Home is called for

I use the Furminator on Cassie and she loves it but unfortunately she is still shedding hours later ....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
16-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #7

The lazy way (or if you have a bad back) of wiping fur off the carpet that the Dyson doesn't pick up (sorry, vacuum cleaner), is to 1) Put on pair of trainers or rubber type soled shoes, preferably clean(!), 2) drag feet along carpet where fur is, small 'lines' of fur will be made where shoe drag ends, 3) Pick up small piles of said excess fur at end of session. thus eliminating crawling on hands and knees with a wet sponge.
Works for me, why use hands when you can do the fluff removing dance!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
16-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #8

I do the fluff removing dance on the stairs. 4 of our 6 are long haired and 3 of those 4 have white tummies! Add this to my bright idea of a dark red carpet and it looks like an explosion in a fluff factory!! I try and brush all the cats, except Huggins, every day, especially Big Foozy. I'm afraid I'm not tremendously houseproud so foozy furniture doesn't really bother me. I use throws on the furniture and bed so I just wash them regularly. If I used a lint roller I would have to change it about every 10 minutes! By the way Dinky, Barnaby is far too beautiful to shed any fur as you know.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #9

I have a funny image in my mind's eye of Catsey ladies doing the fluff removing dance!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
17-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #10

Because Ebony stresses when I get the hoover out (and stress then sets her asthma off, unfortunately) I just pick up with my bare hands any fur that I can see that either Ebony or Tigger shedded and just use a dustpan and brush for cat litter round the tray and I use a lint roller to get any awkward fur up that sticks to things