Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #211

Re: Excessive bank charges - anybody going to complain to their bank?

It just goes to show what mistakes the banks can make, doesn't it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
23-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #212

Certainly does Mags, I wonder how many other people it might have happened to?? perhaps it was a computer glitch???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
11-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
As for sending me the other lady's details they have just said that it's human error and they will be speaking to the staff member involved.

Not the response I was hoping for and I'm changing banks now anyway - I've opened an account with Alliance & Leicester. They're probably all as bad as each other, but it's the principle.
Update..........

I wrote to Watchdog about the bank sending me the other person's details and had several conversations with them and they asked to come and film me etc, but then when they spoke to the other person she said that she didn't want to be a part of Watchdog, so they decided not to feature us.

However, they did do a section on Wednesday's show about bank's breaching their data protection regulations and "accientally" sending out people's bank details.

Apparently the lady whose details I received was very shocked to hear that the bank had sent them to me and also that BBC Watchdog was phoning her!! She is apparently going to be writing to me to thank me for dealing with it the way that I did - as had her bank details fallen into the wrong hands it could have been awful for her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
30-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #214

An article in the Independent newspaper today...

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/leg...cle2594153.ece

Catsey Veteran

30-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #215

That's interesting Fran. I had heard about the first case of Lloyds TSB winning.

As far as I can gather though, most banks don't go so far as court and if they do, they fail to show up to defend themselves.

I was helping my dad with a claim against Halifax recently. We wrote the initial letters, the submitted the court application online and all the way along Halifax said that they were doing to defend themselves in full. However, a few days before the court date they wrote and offered a full settlement, including the court fees, so Dad accepted.

I think they try and frighten us out of going all the way!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
30-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #216

I'm in a similar postion with the Halifax myself Charlie, I am just about to submit the court application (need to speak to Emma first) but I'm worried that there have now been two bank wins that the banks willk start to defend themselves

Catsey Veteran

30-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I'm in a similar postion with the Halifax myself Charlie, I am just about to submit the court application (need to speak to Emma first) but I'm worried that there have now been two bank wins that the banks willk start to defend themselves
I know what you mean, but I don't think that the change (if there is one) of banks defending themselves will happen immediately. Don't let them scare you off - that is just what they want.

My dad was willing to take it all the way and fortunately didn't have to as Halifax were bluffing!!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
30-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I have started to submit my court application too Fran, but worried and find the whole process quite mind boggling.

We have been offered £1125 out of a £1500 claim from Barclays, still undecided, but think I may just accept...

Catsey Veteran

31-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebubs
That's interesting Fran. I had heard about the first case of Lloyds TSB winning.

As far as I can gather though, most banks don't go so far as court and if they do, they fail to show up to defend themselves.

I was helping my dad with a claim against Halifax recently. We wrote the initial letters, the submitted the court application online and all the way along Halifax said that they were doing to defend themselves in full. However, a few days before the court date they wrote and offered a full settlement, including the court fees, so Dad accepted.

I think they try and frighten us out of going all the way!
hold on a min...before anybody gets carried away with the Lloyds TSB win in court, they really need to understand why Lloyds TSB won,

Firstly Lloyds DID NOT ATTEND COURT
secondly, when the judge asked Kevin a set of questions one he answered incorrectly and this lost him the case.

We are hoping that Kevin will put in an appeal as this will mean that it does to the High Court and Lloyds will certainly pay out rather than defend in the High Court, because if they lost it would THEN set a president. This is why there is now £100,000 pledged to get this to the High Court because if we win then it will help millions of customers get the money back. There is a chance if it goes to the High Court and it might just lose but Kevin will certainly not be out of pocket, Martin Lewis and the Consumer Action Group will make sure of this.

It is a shame that when Kevin went to court he did not full prepare himself and that one small error cost him his case, however if he asked for a member of the Consumer Action Group to be there then perhaps it wouldn't have happened.

The second claim which was lost it seems that the persons claim was lacking in evidence. When and if you have to submit your court bundle this is over 100 pages long, so unless you have done your research there is a chance you will lose.

I have another 3 claims to do and these two losses certainly are not going to stop me claiming. The banks are still paying out, don't be put off putting your court claim in, but you do have to put in the effort to understand what you are doing and if you do not understand keep asking questions on one of the forums until you do, that is what they are there for.

Catsey Veteran

31-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #220

Well done Charlie with helping your Dad get his charges back....I bet he is chuffed