Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
07-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #1

i don't think Elvis will live much longer Help? :( :( :( what should i do?

I really don't know what to do about Elvis my cat.

his coat has been the main issue for the past 3odd years allergic to EVERYTHING & now his getting blocked up again his pooed inside himself basically he pushes so much that he creates a hole inside his behind & poos in it so he needs operations to get it out, his going in tonight to the vet.

his having his laxative nearly everyday as my dad mixes it in with his food & makes sure he puts water in his food as he refuses to drink anything in the house & we found that the more liquid he has the better he is with his tummy. He will drink cats milk so we give that to him everyday to keep hydration levels up so that has worked for 3years and we found a good balance, so this might just be a one off?

& his been fine for ages now and now its started up again.

i had to give him 10ml of laxative & i also gave him 5ml of cats milk as he couldn't eat, and to basically get the taste out of his mouth.

he really hates me, he runs from me and hides under the table as he thinks me=vets/injections/laxative

i don't know what to do, my dad is really busy so his alone alot now, although there are 3lodgers there i don't think they give him any attention, (not that its up to them or anything) the last lodger loved him & let him in her room & played with him & bought him toys, so i was happy for him to be there but shes moved out now.

i don't know what to do, shall i try & have him here with me? shall i give it a go? i have bought a cat kennel to go outside & i have room here so i can keep them apart & introduce them slowly???

his so thin as he hasn't eaten can barely walk cos of his bum

i feel like its all my fault, but i had a trail run at my other place and he HATED it as he couldn't go outside so i thought it would be best for him to stay where he grew up?

have i let him down? i feel like Ive moved on in a sense as i have another kitten i feel guilty for doing this.

i don't know what to do

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
07-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #2

Re: i don't think Elvis will live much longer Help? :( :( :( what should i do?

EB, I honestly feel for you in this situation. I know you've said in the past about having him come with you, and as things stand you don't have much to lose by bringing him to you. If it doesn't work, then at least you've tried, whereas if you don't you'll always wonder whether it would have led to him staying with you a bit longer. There is of course the question whether he has quality of life anymore, and that is a question only you can answer. If you feel that he does, and you could keep him pain free, then I would say go for it, and give it a try ((hugs))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
07-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #3

I hope your vet can guide you as to the best way forward.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #4

Oh EB I do feel for you - but the first hurdle IMO is his condition which as you have described it, you and your dad have tried your best to cope with and it can't be easy. You and your vet need to talk about what's best for Elvis. It sounds as if his quality of life is not good at the moment. It's a hard decision but if he is distressed, uncomfortable and in pain - doesn't that make your decision easier?

((((HUGS)))))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
07-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #5

I am so sorry to read about Elvis. If your vet thinks he will be ok after this present crisis is over then it would probably be a good time to bring him to your home as he will be poorly and you can look after him well. He probably won't feel much like going out so a good time to get him used to being in a new place.

If your vet thinks he is not going to improve enough to have a good life quality then you need to consider what is best for him in the long term.

Do hope your vet is able to help and support you in making the right decision.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
07-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #6

I realy do feel for you and Elvis. You can only do your best for him and you are doing that. We are all here for you when ever you need support. Take care.

jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #7

I'm so sorry to hear this, EB. I agree, you need to consult the vet, and then you and your Dad will have to decide what's best for him. I'm inclined to agree that if he does have the op it would be a good time to bring him to your place. (((hugs))) and do let us know how he's doing. We care, and are hear to listen if it helps....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #8

What does your vet recommend? I think though quality of life is the key.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
07-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #9

Hi everyone

well took him in today & poor thing he could barely move

he had a op & i was able to wait for him, they found poo as big as humans poop!!!!!!! in him

poor thing, this is the first time in 4 years this has happened so we have been doing something right as it used to happen every month or so from a kitten!

i was crying my eyes out for the entire nearly 2 odd hours i was there!

Vet said no biscuits anymore, i told him that i just spent £60 buying him the best food that i could!

his just to have mashed up tinned or pouches with water & his laxative put in it & obviously his milk.

had a chat about him & he said we are treating him and to see how he goes & he IS coming to live with me next Sunday as Taylor is getting neutered on Friday.

i was going to bring him back with me tonight But he was really out of it and crying and i thought that bringing him here in the unknown whilst he is like that wasn't the best thing to do.

i took him home & stroked him for ages and he didn't stop purring i think he was saying 'thanks' as he got up and was walking around like normal..........went straight to his bowl and tried to eat!!!! took it away from him as no food tonight!

he was going mad trying to get me to stroke him! so he was feeling alot better already.

got to go back on Sunday for them to check him& i need to go over 2 times a day for pain medi & antibiotics medi

so hopefully *touch wood* he will feel better soon!

just got to work out a way of bringing him here now without upsetting both of them, its going to be hard!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
07-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #10

So pleased to hear that his op seems to have been successful. I hope that he continues to improve.

Keep us posted.