Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
10-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #1

Windows

Getting another quote tonight for front windows. You know the problem's with the bedroom one's well were going to do the living room as well. Funny thing is the back of the house has all new windows. The front has the old sash and case. Weird.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #2

Re: Windows

You're ripping out sash windows????

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #3

Alas were going to have to. The wood is rotten and the windows dont fit the frames. They already have had a double glaze unite fitted (which doesn't work)
The joiner is now coming on Monday. He's going to go over options with us. I really like the old sash and case though. If we can replace them it would be better. Unfortunatly it comes down to fianances. At the moment anyone could climb through. Darryle did it 2 weeks ago. If we forget to screw the lock on were doomed. I'll take a photo. The two bedroom windows are cracked as well.

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #4

Here they are YUK

Can you see a wee face?

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #5

Nobody want to see my scabbie windows?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
10-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #6

LOL...............yes, Jac I do!!!!

Look at Caspurr's little face - what an angel

I have to admit that I love the old sash windows. I know how expensive they can be to repair/restore, but it's a shame to lose that character though.

Sorry

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #7

I know but we have to be practical. There cracked in the bedroom. They dont fit the frame's, there drafty and the secondery pain's that were fitted were put in wrongly (seemingly)
Derek wants to knock out the middle bit and have just two big windows. Not sure I would like that. I think I'll tell him it's about a grand dearer

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
10-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #8

I have an Edwardian house which originally had sash windows (a few houses still do around here).

Mine must of been replaced in the 70s with single glazed windows which had to be replaced again in 2001 when I moved in as they were falling to pieces and dangerous. I have gone for double glazed windows, but as close to sash window look as possible.

Not quite the same, but the 70's windows were useless.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
10-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
I know but we have to be practical. There cracked in the bedroom. They dont fit the frame's, there drafty and the secondery pain's that were fitted were put in wrongly (seemingly)
Derek wants to knock out the middle bit and have just two big windows. Not sure I would like that. I think I'll tell him it's about a grand dearer
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Don't let him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that you have to be practical, Jac. You're probably spending a fortune on heating the place in the winter if it's that drafty!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-08-2007, 06:27 PM   #10

Ah, what a shame about the sash windows Jac I love sash windows I had some in my last house. You need to be practical though and I do hope you find a compromise without it breaking the bank!