Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy
17-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #21

Re: Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Inapropriate weeing/pooing can be a sign of many things but can be a symptom of illness/stress. Given her probable age I would be inclined to get her a thorough health check with the vet Dreams. Do let us know how she gets on x
I will let you know how it all goes, like i said we move end of next month then off to vets we go.
Thank you all for your help xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthairs
17-02-2007, 11:29 PM   #22

Hi Dreams,
Agree with everything so far that has been said, would definately want a blood test that includes the thyroid levels & to check for diabetes. Lots of cats become hyperthyroid with age (too much thyroid hormone) the first symptoms often are eating more & behavioural changes eg loss of house training. She may have soft poo as she is eating more than her guts can cope with. Older cats can also exibit mild senility changes there are drugs which can help this - one is called vivitonin it isn't licenced for cats but had a cat that kept standing in corners & wailing it help enormously vet said to try it as it wouldn't harm him if it didn't help. good luck with the move.
X K

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #23

I was also thinking along the line of thyroid issues with the increased appetite..

Catsey Junior

17-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Hi Dreams,
Agree with everything so far that has been said, would definately want a blood test that includes the thyroid levels & to check for diabetes. Lots of cats become hyperthyroid with age (too much thyroid hormone) the first symptoms often are eating more & behavioural changes eg loss of house training. She may have soft poo as she is eating more than her guts can cope with. Older cats can also exibit mild senility changes there are drugs which can help this - one is called vivitonin it isn't licenced for cats but had a cat that kept standing in corners & wailing it help enormously vet said to try it as it wouldn't harm him if it didn't help. good luck with the move.
X K
Hi Kathryn,
Thank you, i will definately ask for a blood test.
I did wondr if it was her thyroid.
xx

Catsey Junior

17-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I was also thinking along the line of thyroid issues with the increased appetite..
Yeah, it could be that.
Im scared tho as Puss Puss is my first cat and she is very loving.
I love her to bits and i just want her to be happy

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
17-02-2007, 11:42 PM   #26

Hi Dreams. I too was thinking thyroid - I had two elderly cats who suffered overactive thyroid and one of them started peeing/spraying around the house along with the increased appetite.

If it does turn out to be that, don't be too worried as it's easily treated with quite cheap tablets, and mine lived a good few more years on those!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
17-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #27

My old girl Puzzles stopped pooping in the box and became ravenous among other things when she developed hyperthyroidism, so deffinatley get that checked out.

Catsey Junior

18-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #28

Hi thank you both, i will get that check out.
I still worry tho as she is my baby

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
18-02-2007, 12:38 AM   #29

It's completely understandable that you worry. Do you think it would be worth asking your present vet to test for hyperthyroidism? Like I said, if it does turn out to be that, it's very easily treated.