Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #31

Re: Porsha update.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Think they use Marbocyl (can't remember what antibiotic it is) more often these days although can't be used in young
animals.
Presume Giardia was treated with metronidazole ? Could this still be Porsha problem isn't quite difficult to clear ?
X K
Marbocyl is the antibiotic she is currently taking. Yes they did treat her with Metronidazole but it made her diarrhoea 100% worse and she had to come off it and she was put on Baytril which sorted the diarrhoea straight away but my vet was reluctant to give her this antibiotic again as caution has to be exercised giving Baytril to cats. She was also treated with 3 days of Panacur. Panacur is licensed for treatment of Giardia in dogs but not cats but the vet thought it was well worth giving it to her. Giardia can be very difficult to eradicate and can sometimes lie low and then present itself again and for this reason my vet does seem to think that Giardia will be the most likely cause of this bout of diarrhoea. I know this is disgusting to talk about but does campylobacter cause them to smell vile? I don't mean a usual nasty poo smell but a really awful lingering smell. When Porsha was here with the diarrhoea problem, her and my house smelt absolutely awful

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
10-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #32

I don't have any experience of cats with campylobacter, but I do with dogs & pups & humans

Pups are treated with erythromycin suspension.

No foul smell with campy poo (well no more than usual)

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Siamese.Maine Coon. moggies
10-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #33

Brilliant news Fran.....these Orientals are a lot stronger than they look. They just seem to have such a lot of fight in them, the scary thing is that they seem to shut down everything else to fight it

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthairs
12-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #34

Hi Fran, hope Porsha is still doing ok.
Campylobactor diarr to answer your question smells fouls !! bit like haemorrhagic gastro enteritis diarr but without the obvious blood. One vet used to diagnose it on smell alone !!
Just a thought Kenneth had severe diarr problems as youngster, dripping down his legs etc (yuk) he was actually intolerant of chicken/poultry based diets which pouch sensitivity contains we ended up with dry sensitivity which is Capelin & tapioca a novel protein/carbohydrate source.he also had campylobactor & exocrine pancreatic insufficiency something that was only tested for when we had been down all other avenues (reasonably common in dogs but rare in cats - trust Kenneth)
X K

Catsey Veteran

12-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #35

[quote=Kathryn;342455]Hi Fran, hope Porsha is still doing ok.
Campylobactor diarr to answer your question smells fouls !! bit like haemorrhagic gastro enteritis diarr but without the obvious blood. One vet used to diagnose it on smell alone !!

Kathryn is that cat specific, because I know several dogs & pups that have tested positive to campylobacter & no foul smelling diarrhoea. ???

Catsey Junior

12-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #36

Think it must be more cat than dog, esp if the diarr is haemorrhagic - theres no smell quite like it ! campylobactor can also be symptomless, suppose depends on severity/susceptability of/to infection.
X K

Catsey Veteran

12-02-2007, 11:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Think it must be more cat than dog, esp if the diarr is haemorrhagic - theres no smell quite like it ! campylobactor can also be symptomless, suppose depends on severity/susceptability of/to infection.
X K
The dogs & pups I'm referring to are all sampled routinely at specific times, (some with D#, some not) some come back positive, some negative... out of the positive dogs some will have clnical signs, but often not.

I have smelt parvo poo - which is an undescribable, gross smell. {again dogs though not cats}

Catsey Veteran

12-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #38

She did smell, in fact the whole house did I assume Giardia can cause a similar offensiveness too? Will just have to wait for the results of the stool samples I suppose. She's back at the vets in the morning so I will ask.. Thanks for the info

Catsey Junior

12-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #39

Certainly must be more cats than dogs then , probably to do with difference in diet & whats shooting through the guts at the time - oh happy days
X K

Catsey Veteran

12-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
I have smelt parvo poo - which is an undescribable, gross smell. {again dogs though not cats}

Can cats get Parvo or a feline equivelent??