Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
10-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #21

Re: Porsha update.....

Fran, I am so excited to log in and find this news, I am so glad little Porsha had turned the corner, fingers and paws still crossed and sending big big ((((((hugs)))))) x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
10-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #22

That's great news Fran, I'm so pleased for you both.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #23

Oh Fran I am so pleased she is so much better today, must be quite a releif for you although not out of the woods as yet. XXX Everything still crossed here that she continues to go from strength to strength now.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Domestic shorthairs
10-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #24

Hi Fran, have just been reading all the threads, what an awful worry, so happy she is better hopefully the 3 samples will give you some answers. Has she be tested for campylobacter ?
Porsha is one tough kittie
X K

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Has she be tested for campylobacter ?

When she was quite ill before and stool samples were sent, she tested negative for campylobacter but postive for Giardia. The tests they have sent this time are going to be tested for camplyobacter also so we'll have to wait and see. Have you any experience of campylobacter?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #26

Oh Fran, wonderful news! Been so worried about the little girl...will be great to have her home tomorrow! Hope you can get a definite diagnosis from the stool samples, and a plan of treatment. BIG (((hugs))) to you both! xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
10-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #27

Good to hear she is better Fran, still keeping my fingers crossed.

Catsey Junior

10-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #28

Hi Fran, yes had a campylobacter problem a few years back varying from a few days of diarrhoea in the adults & recurrent diarrhoea/ severe haemorrhagic diarrhoea & very ill very quickly in a couple of the younger cats (3mths old). Campylobacter can be difficult to isolate on a single faecal sample even though symptoms are present so samples collected over 3 days & pooled for the lab seems to be the only way to diagnose it. Treatment isn't always straightforward as the treatment can cause vomiting !! As i have a house full of dogs & cats we decided to treat everybody for 2 weeks then retest a pooled sample collected over 3 days from every one thats a lot of poo!!
Also campylobacter is infectious to people so although i was symptomless (glad you asked now arn't you!!) i was tested (negative). we don't know how the animals caught the infection as it could come from anywhere (water,birds other animals). i do have any newcomer tested though as don't want to treat all those furries again. Campylobacter can also be self limiting but re infection is common.
Hope that all makes sense
Positive thoughts for Porsha X K

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
10-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #29

That's interesting reading Kathryn, thank you. I don't envy you all those poo samples and treatment of all those animals though!! What is the usual treatment for camplyobacter?

I know that Girdia can be difficult to pick up in samples too and when Porsha was diagnosed with it, everyone in the house was treated for Giarda as a precaution including 14 Labrador puppies!!!

Catsey Junior

10-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #30

Treatment at the time was erythromycin, tablets for the dogs , Banana flavoured suspension for the cats !! it wasn't popular as had to be given to the cats 3xdaily, one of the dogs was just apup so she also had the suspension but she though it was lovely!!
Think they use Marbocyl (can't remember what antibiotic it is) more often these days although can't be used in young
animals.
Presume Giardia was treated with metronidazole ? Could this still be Porsha problem isn't quite difficult to clear ?
X K