Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: elderly black puss and tortoiseshel
08-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #1

Spaying young kittens?

I didnt want to hijack the existing thread as this is a slightly different issue...

We have the chance of buying a beautiful Maine Coon kitten and everything seems great except for one niggling worry

The breeder sells the kittens chipped jabbed and spayed but says there is a vet who does the op at 13 weeks? Apparently this procedure is known in the USA for 25 years but is relatively new in the UK and only a few vets will carry it out

I dont know if I am just being picky and over cautious but I am uncomfortable about carrying this out on such a young animal and particularly long term health implications?

Would really love any feedback/opinions/experience on this

Thanks a lot guys

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #2

Re: Spaying young kittens?

Hi there - welcome to the forum.
There was a discussion about this a while back - I'll try to find the thread and post a link. I don't think anyone here has used this regime .... not a pet owner anyway, maybe someone involved in rescue.
It's difficult isn't it? If I had kittens (which I never will) I would want to be 1000% sure that there would never be any more cats on this earth because of them, but that would be from a moggie/rescue point of view. Is the breeder stipulating this so that you can't *get into breeding* (which is an admirable thought - leave breeding to the breeders etc)? I know that puppies are sold with an endorsement on their pedigree which requires non-breeding & prevents any progeny being KC registered but don't know how it works for cats. The number of half-pedigree kittens offered would suggest that it doesn't work well.

I'll stop whittering and go off and try to find the previous thread .......

Catsey Veteran

08-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #3

There ya go (must be on good form today - that didn't take long!) http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...e+of+neutering

Cats owned: elderly black puss and tortoiseshel
08-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #4

Wow thank you so much!

Thats certainly given me a lot to think about and I really appreciate your fast response
I think I will like it here I feel all warm and fuzzy and welcome already

Catsey Veteran

08-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #5

You're very welcome - and very welcome here as I said. It was one of our better debates! We can do serious as well as scatty!
We like kittens and will be pleased to cooo over your little one as s/he grows.
Here's the place to sign in and say hello - you'll get lots of (cat)mad people saying hi http://www.catsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54
Tell us all about your prospective baby!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
I know that puppies are sold with an endorsement on their pedigree which requires non-breeding & prevents any progeny being KC registered but don't know how it works for cats.
A similar thing happens in cats DM. Pedigree cats not for breeding are placed on the 'inactive' register and therefore any kittens from them cannot be registered with the GCCF. It doesn't of course stop people breeding them just that progeny can't be registered exactly the same way as in pedigree dogs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreambelievr
I didnt want to hijack the existing thread as this is a slightly different issue...

We have the chance of buying a beautiful Maine Coon kitten and everything seems great except for one niggling worry

The breeder sells the kittens chipped jabbed and spayed but says there is a vet who does the op at 13 weeks? Apparently this procedure is known in the USA for 25 years but is relatively new in the UK and only a few vets will carry it out

I dont know if I am just being picky and over cautious but I am uncomfortable about carrying this out on such a young animal and particularly long term health implications?

Would really love any feedback/opinions/experience on this

Thanks a lot guys
Warm welcome to the board, Looking forward to chatting to you, as DM says, why not introduce yourself in the introductions section so we can all give you a proper welcome

Catsey Veteran

08-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #8

Thanks Fran
And as I mused in my first musings .... I think that may well be why so many 'half Burmese/Siamese/Ragdoll ' kittens are advertised for £200 or more on the awful freead sites. People buy a pedigree female kitten with an endorsement and just see the £££££s and go ahead and let her breed with any old tom (or dick or harry ... sorry - couldn't resist!)
Spaying before sale would prevent this, and the well meaning but dippy ....'oh yes, I just never got round to phoning the vet' accidental pregnancies.