Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
01-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #1

Neutering an older Cat.

Well still a kitten really I have always done the 6mth policy with the males, Moose is now 8.5mths and is a cheeky so and so, and is getting bossy! He thinks he is the "boss" of all the Cats in a nice way, no aggression, but bolshy if you know what I mean. Is this maturity coming on? Those that have neutered males a bit older, did you notice this? Valentines day for moose is looking like doomsday!
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
01-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #2

Re: Neutering an older Cat.

I didn't have Broxi neutered until he was 14 months old and although we didn't have any other cats we did have the dog, but I never noticed any difference in him. The only reason I got him done then was because we had decided to get another cat and I thought it was better to get him done beforehand.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #3

Hehe - poor Moose I took on an older stray cat who was entire. Apart from the spraying, the short time he was with us before his op he did try and assert his authority somewhat

This calmed down REALLY quickly after the snip - 3 -5 days and he was docile as you like!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #4

Can't offer an opinion; my males were altered at 6 months and were only cats at the time; Dandy did live with 2 females but was never bossy before or after...he was the passive-agressive type.....got his way cleverly......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #5

Oscar was done when he was about 6 months or so there abouts. Never really bolshy, mind you Cleo wouldn't have stood for him being bolshy she's have smacked him round the head. so no help from me at all.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
01-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #6

Chancer was 6 when I had him done, the only diffeence \I saw was, he does not fight with other cats now,and he sleeps a heck of a lot...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
01-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #7

Thanks all. Sounds as if he could be growing up if Yola's Cat is anything to go by, I know a lot of Cats are ok, but Id hate one to spray, it stinks! I wont even board an adult uneutered male. He's such a super chap though, but it seems his time is nearing.
Dawn.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
01-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #8

sorry cant help you on this one mine are all done at 5 and half to 6 months.it sounds like moose is a right little character

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #9

We had this with Clooney. Clooney never sprayed, we were lucky in that respect but he did become 'assertive' with Claude and often tried to mount him. He is very much better since he has been done but does occasionally try to 'rule' Claude. I personally would get Moose done as quickly as you can Dawn

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
02-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #10

Vincent is my only male cat, he was done early, he was soppy before and hes soppy now - very loving x