Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
29-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #31

Re: Arowroot hasn't worked!!

I honestly have no idea Mags. I have tried every brand of cat food going, I've tried chicken and turkey and rice, I've tried dry foods and wet foods, special diets and cheap stuff and the only blasted thing she seems to be able to eat is fish!!!!! I just wish I knew if she'll be ok being fed on this for life and then I could stop worrying, but I just don't see how it can be good for her to have such a restricted diet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #32

Alex, this has gone on so long I'm sorry to say I've forgotten what the vet's diagnosis was. Was it irritable bowel syndrome, or colitis, or food allergy? I was looking up taurine deficiency for you, but apparently there is enough taurine in fish; tried to find something about an all-fish diet, no luck. I agree that she's probably lacking some elements she needs in fish only, but how do we find out what it is and how to get it into her without causing more chronic diarrhea? I'm baffled...silly. but I really worry about this little cat.....

Catsey Veteran

29-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #33

The thing is Eileen, I've never HAD a diagnosis from the vet. He ruled out the parasitic causes, never mentioned allergies and basically gave up on her! I've had to do most of the trial and error by myself and if I hadn't persevered and managed to find the fish for her he would have had her pts! I can get her put on to PDSA over here, which is a charity that provides medical care for pets of those on low incomes, but I have to get her fit enough to pass the vet health check first, a bit of a vicious circle really. If I have to cook fish twice a day for her for the rest of her life then fine, as long as I know that she wont suffer health wise in the long run from it. Thank you for your concern for her xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
29-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #34

It may of been suggested, but have you tried the precription diets?
dawn.

Catsey Veteran

29-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #35

Yep tried them as well Dawn, the only thing that settled her a little was the hills id wet, but the vet said she couldn't be kept on that permanently as there was basically no nutritional value to it and it was only meant for short term usage!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
30-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Yep tried them as well Dawn, the only thing that settled her a little was the hills id wet, but the vet said she couldn't be kept on that permanently as there was basically no nutritional value to it and it was only meant for short term usage!
????
So what does it do Alex? Just fill them up? Does it have all the vitamins/minerals etc? If so, wouldn't that be a perfect solution? Plain fish as her normal diet to give her protein etc but the id to give her a bit of bulk and the trace elements fish lack? Maybe only give her the id once a week or something?
Have we hit on something at last?

Catsey Veteran

30-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #37

tbh DM I don't really know. I think as you said it's just really meant to fill them up rather than being used as a proper food. When she had this food she was on the metronizadol as well and I don't know whether it was the medication that helped her tolerate the food. My vet isn't the most helpful when it comes to Teddie and I don't know whether he would even prescribe the food for her. I'm wondering whether hill do a normal wet food as I haven't tried her with that, and maybe it's their way of producing their food that makes the difference with her.

Catsey Veteran

30-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #38

Found this blurb on id

" Hills diet feline i/d additional information:
Provides complete balanced nutrition for growing kittens as well as adult cats.

Hills diet feline i/d key benefits:
Digestibility: High - Ensures availability of nutrients. Assists healing of the digestive tract.
Fat: Reduced - Limits vomiting by soothing gastric mucosa and encouraging stomach emptying.
Soluble fibre: Increased - Provides short chain fatty acids to nourish enterocytes and restore intestinal flora.
Electrolytes B-complex vitamins: Increased – Replaces increased losses due to vomiting and diarrhoea.
Superior antioxidant formula: Added - Reduces harmful free radicals associated with gastroenteritis. "

So - it's not a 'nothing' food - it is a complete food. Doesn't say anything about it not being suitable for long term use either

Catsey Veteran

30-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
I'm wondering whether hill do a normal wet food as I haven't tried her with that, and maybe it's their way of producing their food that makes the difference with her.
Lots of different Hills food available
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/google/-127...d/hills_feline

Catsey Veteran

30-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #40

Hmmm, I might take a wander up to the vets where I had Cooper done yesterday and ask them about it.