Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
15-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #21

Re: Sick Persian

Good to hear that she is a little settled. Hope you find some answers soon. x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
15-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #22

I use Bachs Rescue Remedy from time to time, its good stuff x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
15-01-2007, 11:50 PM   #23

Thank you for the update Sherbert. I hope Vallie stabilises and continues is good health for a long time to come.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #24

Glad there is some improvement. Fingers crossed you will get to the bottom of Vallie's problems x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
16-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #25

Glad to hear Vallie is doing well. Please keep us informed how it goes as I know of some one else with a persian and suspected PKD.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
16-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #26

Sorry to hear of the problems with Vallie, Sherbert. It is heartbreaking to see them suffer and not know what to do. I agree that your vet does seem rather vague. Has Vallie been tested for hyperthyroidism? Cats with this disease are always hungry yet lose vast amounts of weight. I really hope the situation improves.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
23-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #27

Does she or has she ever lived in a multi cat household? It is possible that she has FIP, sometimes known as the purring disease. Nearly all cats that live in a multi cat household will carry the coronavirus which in itself is harmless but in some cats for whatever reason, possible stress, it can mutate into FIP. signs are poor appetite, weight loss, lethargy and if it is the wet type their will be fluid in their stomach or lungs. This is not evident in the dry version though. Unfortunately their is no cure and it is fatal there is also no conclusive diagnosis other than by post-mortem. The vet can take a sample of bloood and do a titre reading but this only indicates that the cat has been in contact with the coronavirus not actual FIP. However if the reading is excessively high then FIP is indicated. It does however usually effect cats between 10months and 2 years although of course there are exceptions to this.

Cats owned: Moggies & Ragdoll
23-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #28

Hello everyone

I am sad to report that Vallie had to be put to sleep. My Mom took her back to the vets for yet another barrage of tests, but they could find nothing wrong and so concluded that it must be cancer. The vet said it would not be fair to take her home. She was a little fighter, she had had cancer of the mouth about 6 years ago, followed by eye problems that let to her having her eye removed, but through it all she remained active and loving. I think this was just a step too far, she was as light as a bag of feathers at the end. My Mom was really distressed, but I think in her heart she knew it was coming

I would just like to say thanks to all of you who have responded, it has given my Mom great comfort

Sherbert

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #29

I am so, so sorry to hear of the sad loss of Vallie There was obviously something very seriously wrong with her and the heartbreaking decision has now freed her from all pain She is now at rest ...........

((((hugs)))) to your mum and you, Sherbert x

Run free Vallie ...... xx

Cats owned: Moggies & Ragdoll
23-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #30

thanks Mags