Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #1

Unreliable household things

DM's comment about the unreliable vacuums got me thinking: what else have you found to need replacement too frequently? For me it is VCRs! They only seem to last about two years, then start chewing up tapes...and I have always been meticulous about using head-cleaning tapes....

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy
20-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #2

Re: Unreliable household things

The most unreliable thing we have is our DVD player we have replaced it 6 times in two years, at least its under warranty, the other thing is i seem to go through hair dyers i tend to blow them up so i end up getting a new one at least once a year LOL

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #3

KETTLES!!!!! Eeeek I can't do without my cuppa!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #4

The one thing I always seem to be buying are hot air stylers, they seem to last about 6 months then start overheating!!
and the other thing is irons, goodness knows how many of them I have had since getting married!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
KETTLES!!!!! Eeeek I can't do without my cuppa!
Oooh, how could I have forgotten kettles!!! They just up and die just when you need them...cannot think of how many I've replaced...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
20-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #6

I really do not think things last like they used to....Not the same quality now...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
20-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #7

I think I've been very lucky! I've been married nearly 39 years now and we're on our 2nd kettle, our 4th vacuum cleaner and I'm on my 2nd hair-dryer (I got the 1st when I was 16!)

I'm losing count of the VCRs and other similar things as my husband keeps convincing me that it makes sense to get something more advanced (or do I mean complicated?)

I'll admit to a bit of a problem with steam-irons, maybe it's because we live in a hard-water area, or because they keep getting dropped on the tiles!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
20-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #8

Blasted DVD players!!! Dont know what it is with them, but they keep dying on me.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #9

Well my list of replacements reads .......

Washing machine - 3
Cooker/oven - 3
Vacuum cleaner - 4
Iron - 2
Kettles - 3
Steamer - 2
Television - 3
VCR - 2
Computer - 2

The longest lasting appliance must be my Braun hairdryer, I've had it for 17 years now and it works still as good as new!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
20-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #10

It has to be DVD players here too! Mind you, I refuse to spend any money on them so buy ones for £25.00 . . . they last about a year and then I get another one! The other bane of my life is laptops. Can't get the darned things to go beyond a year also. I now refuse to buy one, and use the desktops instead.

I've been lucky with most things, my Dyson has lasted 10 years without problems, fridge/freezer about 8 years, 1st washer/dryer 9 years (problems with the replacement though), original dishwasher still going strong at 11 years, recently replaced a hairdryer that was nearly 20 years old and that's coz Dominik battered it once too often

I refuse to get an electric kettle so my lovely Alessi cooker-top one is 11 years old but will probably last forever!