Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #11

Re: Families

So sorry Elaine. Isn't this just the reason we have cats? I can't count the number of times I have cuddled Merlin for comfort. He's great - doesn't mind me getting his fur wet, doesn't say the wrong thing but is just a great comfort. Go cuddle your cats girl!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #12

What a sad thread. Well done Elaine for visiting - did she know you? If so, I bet that was a tonic for her.

I think this is yet another area where science and good sense do not quite meet (like some of the fertility issues). I see no sense in living longer if you're not living well - or even functioning as a human. I would love to be 90 and still gardening; I hate the thought of being 75 and incapable of remembering that I need to eat, or go to the toilet to eliminate, or who I am. I hate the thought of my children (or my husband) feeling sad for me. I cannot see the humanity in keeping shells of former people breathing and ingesting and eliminating.

It costs £25 to get the appropriate forms from Dignity in Dying. Maybe a tad for your Solicitor to hold a copy for you and you have to get your GP to sign. Here's the link - it's not euthanasia, more human kindness http://www.dignityindying.org.uk/

nice first posting of the new week ...............

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
04-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #13

Very similar to the situation with my Uncle Arnie - no idea who we are where he is let alone who he is. Very very sad.
And causes heartbreak for those who care, and those who care for those who remember the person as they used to be.

I can get upset seeing Uncle Arnie confused but to my Mom who I love dearly it is heartbreaking, like when we arrived and Uncle Arnie had been told by Uncle Arthur (his older brother) their parents were dead, as Uncle Arnie was heartbroken they had not been to see him (his reasoning he was in hospital therefore poorly and his Mom and Dad should have come to see him) so to try to explain Uncle Arthur (poor man) as a last resort told Uncle Arnie the truth gently that their parents had been dead (27 years in Nan's case, in grandad's)

It took less than a day for Uncle Arnie to get over it and forgot shortly after. My Mom and Uncle Arthur have been beside themselves with worry ever since.

So you worry for those who you love.

So I agree with Hiary on this, if I am like my Great Auntie Nellie fit and able and running errands for the oldies (people in their 60's) when I am 100+ then I will be happy if I am like Uncle Arnie and not know who I am let alone if I have eaten that day then its not for me.

Elaine I feel for your parents its like a living hell.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #14

Thanx every one, thanx for the link Hilary and sorry for such a depressing subject to start the week.
She did know who I was and was very pleased to see me.
I popped in past this evening after work just for a short visit. She is a little confused over days etc but that may just be down to the mundane routine of sitting in a hospital. I bumped into one the daughters on my way out, she was telling me that they are trying to get her into a home. She wont like that at all but I have to symathise with them there coz it is alot to take on. I know she is only in the very early stages and maybe I have seen the best of it.
I do feel for her though. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
04-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #15

The only thing I know for certain about dementia is that it gets worse. I feel for anyone in the situation, it is No win.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #16

My aunt is getting to go home tomorrow.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #17

That's good news Elaine .....do her daughters live with her?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #18

Great news Elaine....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
07-02-2008, 12:16 AM   #19

Thats great news Elaine

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #20

That's super news! Is she going to try and live at home for a bit?