Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
27-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #1

Keeping cats out of the garden

Well I am looking for a way to keep cats out of the garden, as Cleo has got older and now she has not white and ginger protector in Oscar I have noticed in the last few months that we are being visited by a large BW Tom and a large Black Tom. I don't mind to much as they don't come in the day when the dogs are out and about but in the evening and Cleo is reluctant to go out - I assume as they have marked the garden as their territory. So I am looking for ways to keep cats out. Any idea's please?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #2

Re: Keeping cats out of the garden

That's going to be more difficult than keeping cats IN the garden Kazz

Other than having the faithful water pistol handy, I'm afraid I haven't got an answer to that. Hope someone comes up with something for you though!

Catsey Veteran

27-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #3

Well today started to put trellis above the fence line in the hope the cats won't be able to climb over only secured the trellis with a nail or two so quite wobbly - hopint thats off putting. Looking for something harmless to put on the top of the fence not sure what though - thoughts.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
27-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #4

Mmm tricky Kazz, the movement in the trellis may work being unstable, Ill have a think.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

27-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #5

See the problem isn't in the day when the dogs are out its in the twilight hours (that I know cats love) but its making Cleo uneasy. Which bothers me,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
27-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #6

Its a shame Cleo cannot relax in her own garden....Really can't think what would keep cats out....they can get in through the tiniest spaces...

Catsey Veteran

27-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #7

Yeah maybe a lot of it is down to her age like older people who become "worried" over simple things she is getting worried maybe without due cause. But I have noticed an increase in the cats around here, I wonder if we have a she cat thereofore attracting the Toms. Oh well I'll have to carry on babysitting her and letting the dogs do a little more "Cleo" care.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
27-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Yeah maybe a lot of it is down to her age like older people who become "worried" over simple things she is getting worried maybe without due cause. But I have noticed an increase in the cats around here, I wonder if we have a she cat thereofore attracting the Toms. Oh well I'll have to carry on babysitting her and letting the dogs do a little more "Cleo" care.
Funny how the dogs look after the cats, my staffies are the same...Mollie couldn't care a less though..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #9

Have you seen those prickly strips - I think they're called 'Prickets' you can fix on the top of the fence? Only plastic, so not designed to hurt - just discourage. I'll see if I can get some info

Edit. There you go - Prikka http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/cat_control.htm

Catsey Veteran

28-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #10

Now that looks interesting DM thanks. See I don't want to hurt the cats maybe I have been spoilt for the last 1/4 century having my own resident cat deterrent in Oscar