Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #1

Age gap?

What would you consider to be a good age gap between cats in your home, okay you could have two together

but I wam wondering as you all (mostly) I am sure know I had two kittens the same age now 24 years on I am facing two elderly cats would you have two cats then get another kitten in a few years (ie three cat household) one kitten then another in a few years?
What would be your ideal "cat household"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
22-09-2006, 08:16 PM   #2

Re: Age gap?

Lots of permutations here Kazz and probably no 'perfect' answer; just the situation that works for you, or one you are forced in or whatever.
We've got a gap of 15 and a half years here and do you know what? - it works. Just over the last few days, say couple of weeks, all the cats are to be found sleeping together at various times in the day and places round the house (yes, I know , but I don't have my camera all the time!)
Whether that's because I have the two 6mo who mostly play with each other and don't 'pester' Mini I don't know? Don't know what a single kitten would be like? - have a feeling either the humans would feel they were neglecting cuddling the kitten for fear of making the oldie jealous, or the oldie would be jealous at the attention the kitten was getting.

Whatever - I am sure it's easier to bring a kitten into a household where there is an established cat .... although older cats can accept - look at Moli right now. But she was lucky and the cat chose her house, so she had no 'emotional investment' in it settling down OK.

Haven't been much help have I? - just whittered! Two kittens is fun, and introducing the two together seems to have worked here.

Catsey Veteran

22-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #3

Yes DM I imagine you are right an established cat and a kitten or two coming in. See I should have thought of this almost 10 years ago when mine were 15&1/2 instead of waiting now I have an elderly lady. Who I am loathe to upset.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
22-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #4

Well, Mini huffed down her nose and swore at the babies when they first came - now they rub noses and she has missed them whilst they've been away today.
I'll try and get a pick of them sleeping in a heap.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
22-09-2006, 08:28 PM   #5

I think having a few years between kittens is a good idea, My youngsters are 1,2,3, not really a good idea...Then I have Leo the oldie....and not forgetting Chancer, who as DM says chose to live here...It has not been easy getting the others a accept him, still we have a few hiss's and spits, but as Chancer is very "Street Wise" Copes very well...If he had been a young kitten it would have been much easier...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
22-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #6

I dont think it matters half as much in Cats as it does in dogs. My Cats are 17 and a half, 14, 14, 1 and 3 months. I find Cats so much more "chilled" than Dogs.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

22-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #7

Yes I think so as well Dawn, maybe because cats train us rather than us train them as in dogs.