Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #21

Re: Little luxuries - what are yours?

If you mean Lifebuoy soap ladies - you can still get it, but the price seems rather inflated these days!!!

http://www.store.soapcafe.co.uk/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
19-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I'm slightly embarrassed to say I don't know what carbolic soap is .... is it that old fashioned yellow laundry soap in bars that women used in the laundry years ago? If so, I don't remember any particular scent ... but then was rarely around when Mom was doing the laundry as I was in school .....
Carbolic soap as i remember it is usualy Pink, i assume it's got carbolic acid in or something. I would describe the smell as a bit like antiseptic.

Googled this for you Eileen
Carbolic soap is a mildly disinfectant soap containing carbolic acid (phenol).[1][2][3] Once widely available in the United States and the most common disinfectant cleaner in hospitals, it has disappeared from all but specialty retail stores. It is distributed to disaster victims for routine hygiene by the Red Cross and other relief organizations.[4][5] Remembered by many older Americans as the household soap of their childhood, it is sought after by some for its nostalgic sweet, tarry smell. By killing bacteria, it acts as a mild deodorant when used as a body soap.[6]

In England it was used in state schools at least up until the 1970s. A bar of carbolic soap on every washroom sink. The smell is evocative for generations of children. Quite often it would irritate the skin.

In the 1960s teachers in England were allowed to use corporal punishment in the classroom, so along with the cane, a child who swore in class might be made to wash their mouth out with carbolic soap.

Carbolic soap is still used regularly in the Caribbean region, especially Jamaica where it can be found in most drugstores or super markets.

[edit] References
Have to say i once washed my face with it and it made my face feel very tight. Having said that maybe i should use it now instead of a facelift

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
Carbolic soap as i remember it is usualy Pink, i assume it's got carbolic acid in or something. I would describe the smell as a bit like antiseptic.

Googled this for you Eileen
Carbolic soap is a mildly disinfectant soap containing carbolic acid (phenol).[1][2][3] Once widely available in the United States and the most common disinfectant cleaner in hospitals, it has disappeared from all but specialty retail stores. It is distributed to disaster victims for routine hygiene by the Red Cross and other relief organizations.[4][5] Remembered by many older Americans as the household soap of their childhood, it is sought after by some for its nostalgic sweet, tarry smell. By killing bacteria, it acts as a mild deodorant when used as a body soap.[6]

In England it was used in state schools at least up until the 1970s. A bar of carbolic soap on every washroom sink. The smell is evocative for generations of children. Quite often it would irritate the skin.

In the 1960s teachers in England were allowed to use corporal punishment in the classroom, so along with the cane, a child who swore in class might be made to wash their mouth out with carbolic soap.

Carbolic soap is still used regularly in the Caribbean region, especially Jamaica where it can be found in most drugstores or super markets.

[edit] References
Have to say i once washed my face with it and it made my face feel very tight. Having said that maybe i should use it now instead of a facelift
Thank you for that, Shelley! Better than Botox~!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
19-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #24

Scented candles, very hot bubble baths, sweet desserts, and reading by the fire...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
19-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #25

I remember carbolic soap being red. The bar I have at home is too. Angie, Lifebuoy soap isn't the same as carbolic, carbolic was generally used for washing clothes, whereas carbolic was stronger and could irritate the skin. I love the smell of lifebuoy soap too though.

I've been to that apothecary shop in Howarth, it's fab!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #26

Carbolic is red/deep pink and I think it was square. Although I do think lifebuoy
was originally a red, carbolic soap. But I think lifebuoy change to a white soap when I knew it.

I know lifebuoy has been relaunched but nothing like the soap it once was.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
19-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #27

Eileen and Angie - Rapid Lash is a serum that you apply along the lash line and it makes your eyelashes, darker, longer and thicker, it is amazing - you see the results after about 8 weeks, it now looks like I am wearing false eyelashes lol you do have to apply it every evening though.

Catsey Veteran

19-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #28

My lashes have gotten shorter since menopause and are now too short to use the eyelash curler on ... sigh Wonder if that would help?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
19-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #29

Might do Eileen, I think they do a cheaper version in the US.

Catsey Veteran

19-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Might do Eileen, I think they do a cheaper version in the US.
Thanks, Emma, will look for it ... worth a try.