Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
29-09-2005, 09:46 PM   #1

Arthritis in cats

Arthritis in cats
Has anyone had a cat who has suffered with arthritis? and do you have any "suggestions" for easing their
discomfort and stiffness? I believe in my cats case it is due to old age - as it has only come to the fore in the last few months and is getting worse - slowly but you can see the stiffness when getting up, but still allows us/me to groom - so not too uncomfortable I imagine.
Karen

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-09-2005, 09:56 PM   #2

Re: Arthritis in cats

Sorry can't help you Kazz....does your vet suggest anything?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
29-09-2005, 10:01 PM   #3

Not so sure about cats - but for dogs - essential fatty acid supplements are good & help ease stiffness. IE cod liver oil/oil of evening primrose. (check with your vet as I don't know if they are ok for cats or have the same effect)

What about a homeopathic remedy Kazz? I've never really thought much of them until the last couple of years when I tried a remedy on a dog who was travel sick, I couldn't believe it & then tried different remedies with dogs for different problems. -- I'm not a great believer in that sort of thing but if they don't work it's one hell of a coinsidence each time

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
29-09-2005, 10:02 PM   #4

We use Synoquin supplement for our horse which is a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement. i know it is licensed for dogs but not sure about cats Have you thought of trying something homeopathic Kazz?

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #5

SNAP

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #6

I too was a doubting Thomas where homeopathy was concerned until Tikka had teriible morning sickness whilst in whelp and was losing weight. I used a homeopathic remedy and her nausea and vomitingcleared up almost over night

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #7

Yes I've seen fantastic results with it. The dog who was travel sick was awful, she'd drool, shake & generally be very uncomfortable. Would vomit on occasions. I asked a collegue (who is really into homeopathic stuff) what he recommended & he got me some. (can't even remember what it is called)
a tiny pot of white pills I thought - how on earth is a pill smaller than a pin head going to stop this poor dog from getting so upset in the car? But I went & did a home visit (with my stupid pot of pills ) & advised on how best to introduce her to the car journeys & use the tablets. (short journeys to fun places, you know the sort of thing) The very next day - she came into season, therefore in the car for a 30 minuite journey. She popped a pill & off they went on their car journey.

No drooling / no shaking / no vomitting / not even uncomfortable or worried.

Now I find that so hard to understand how a "little white pill" can do that, but it did & to this day - she is fine.

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2005, 10:18 PM   #8

This board is getting spooky. Smudgley suggests homeopathic remedies PK does the same thing and believe it or believe it not I was going to add to the bottom of my post - any homeopathic suggestions?

We are going to the vets tomorrow - thing is tablets would not be easy as Oscar does not like them - if it is something that adds to the water and you can taste it - then I do not want him to stop drinking due to his kidney problems but I will see what the vet says a trip every month or six weeks or so to the vets for a jab may be the easiest and least stressful option.

Less stressful than a nightly battle for a tablet he is okay for a week or so but anymore and he dislikes it.

Not easy is it,

Karen

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2005, 10:20 PM   #9

The remedy I got for Tikka was a liquid with a dropper. You put the drops on the dogs nose or a mucous membrane. It was like a magic potion I was really impressed. If I stopped using it the nausea and vomiting returned so it was obviously the remedy that worked and not coincidence

Catsey Veteran

29-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #10

Thanks for that I will fin out, thanks Karen