Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: moggies
28-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #1

Help - hand rearing kittens

Advice needed please! We are currently trying to hand rear 4 x 4 day old kittens which have been abandoned. We are keeping them warm using a hot water bottle and feeding them on Cimicat every two hours but they are reluctant to suckle so I'm dripping formula into their mouths using a syringe. We have a small bottle with a teat but they won't suckle on it. Any ideas anyone?

Claire

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
28-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #2

Re: Help - hand rearing kittens

Sorry i wish I could help. I'm sure someone here will come up with good advise.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #3

I have no experience of hand rearing kittens I'm afraid Claire but I'm sure there will be someone on here to give you some advice. They sound little cuties....well done to you for taking such care with them..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
28-09-2005, 07:24 PM   #4

have you tried tude feeding them??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
28-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #5

I was going to suggest tube feeding Nat, but it is daunting unless you know what to do and have the right equipment...If Claire has no experience of tube feeding she would need someone to show her how to do it. Sam would be the best person to offer advice but I don't think she has been around much lately

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #6

Yes Sam would be the ideal person to help you as she has hand reared many of her kittens. I hope she sees this post...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
28-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #7

Sorry I can't advise on hand rearing kittens. I've never done it, but I do know lots of people who have successfully done it.

I have however handreared puppies. I guess the principle is the same except I would think puppies are easier than kittens to rear.

A big part of it depends how strong the little ones are. EG I work with puppies - with breeds where average birthweight is about 1LB. But I always say I'd rather have a strong 9oz pup than a weak 12oz pup. If they are strong & will suckle that's half your problem solved.

Today I fostered 5 puppies from one bitch to another, but I chose the strongest ones as they are better able to cope with the transition.

Sorry for waffling - but my point is that your babies need to be strong to stand a chance. Make sure they are not dehydrated by pinching their scruff - the hair should fall back down quickly - if it doesn't or if it is stiff they are dehydrated & will need rehydration fluid ASAP.

Hope that helps.

PS - not sure how long you've had these babies - but if it's very new ie if they only came to you today - so they are new to the bottle, then if it's any consalation pups often won't take to the bottle straight away & it usually takes a couple of goes for them to get the idea.

Catsey Veteran

28-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #8

PS - Just a thought
-. It may be worth contacting some cat rescue people nearby - they may be able to help if they have a new mom with a small litter. I know we have helped out (I am a cats protection fosterer) in the past when a new mom was run over & killed in a RTA.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
28-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #9

That's a good idea Smudgley!

Catsey Veteran

28-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #10