Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
08-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #1

Not looking forward to this....

Have the vets with "THE DIVA" today . There's nothing wrong with her its just time for her booster, health check and claw clipping.
The problem is getting her into the damned cat carrier She is quite a Divaish mood today aswell
Have a friend coming over with some prawns to try to tempt her into the cat carrier.
She is such a large cat to try to manhandle and it wouldnt be the first time I have managed to get her to the vets only to put her back in the carrier without being looked at, but that wqs with a different vet who was scared of all the noise and fuss she makes. Have booked her in with Heidi who I really like and trust. She doesnt listen to Eva's nonsense but is very kind and calm with her.
Anyway if any one has any tips on how to get the fat madam into a cat carrier then I'd like to hear them please

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
08-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #2

Re: Not looking forward to this....

No tips Elaine, but best of luck lol! (hope you're well stocked up on plasters)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #3

If you have a front opening carrier Elaine, get someone to hold it with the opening tilted upwards, pick up the Diva and put her quickly into the carrier, back legs first. Have the door ready to close. That was the way I used to get Cassie in as she would never go in head first.

If you have a top opening carrier it should be a lot easier to just 'drop' her in and close the lid.

Good luck, I hope she will be cooperative with you!!

Catsey Veteran

08-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #4

Thanx Mags the carrier I have has both a front door and a top door because I have so many problems getting her in it
I am hoping the prawns will tempt her inside so I dont have to manhandle her too much but if that fails..................
Am thinking of wrapping her in a towel and popping her in through the top. She always manages to spread herself out, making her twice the size of the door I am trying to get her through

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
08-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #5

to get my two in I get hold of their front and back legs and just sort of shove, as if you have both sets of legs they can't spread quite as much.

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
08-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #6

Best of Luck x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
08-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #7

Good luck is all i can say. Guinness goes in with a bit of a fuss but tries to get back into the carrier when it is tip upside down when wee try to get him out

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #8

Good luck Elaine!

Catsey Veteran

08-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #9

Ok well just as cats do, she made a fool of me by going into her carrier without any fuss
However, I am not so pleased with myself or the vet. Firstly the vet we saw was NOT the one I wanted, who is very good with her, she got her booster with a fair bit of noise, her teeth are in good nick. Then it was time for the claw clipping, now Eva makes alot of fuss and gets stressed easily which is why I had asked for Heidi. Eva made alot of noise, hissing, spitting and growling so they decided to muzzle her . My poor girl almost went through the roof . So in the end there was no claw clipping and they spoke of sedating her which I dont want because I know that Heidi can clip her claws without all that. My poor baby was clinging to me for dear life, bless her.
Now that part where I am not so happy with myself. Eva is a very large cat with big bones structure, she always weighed in at around the 6 kg mark but now she is up to 7.6 kg which is not good at all. So now I will have to get her weight back on track by reducing her food intake by around 30% each day and try to get her to play more.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
08-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #10

Such a shame you didn't get the vet you wanted Elaine, are you going back another time to get her claws clipped? And oh dear, methinks Eva is NOT going to be a happy Diva being put on a (whisper it) diet!!!!