Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
19-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #1

Blackie - one year on

It is a year today since I lost Blackie. I took her on as she was 14 with health and behavioural issues and I knew that most shelters wouldn't have given her a chance. I expected to only have a year tops with her, but wasn't expecting it to only be 7 weeks and 6 days. After 4 weeks of having her, I took her for blood tests to check her organ functions, and expected either kidney or liver issues, as she had dodgy teeth and recurrent cat flu symptoms. I didn't know about mammary cancer, so wasn't expecting that diagnosis, even though I had felt some lumps at the weekend, and due to her other health issues and temperament, the vet advised against surgery, as did the rescue I was fostering for at the time. So, I took her home to give her some good times, and again, wasn't expecting 3 short weeks before she started having eating issues. I was in tears all that day knewing that I was going to have to face a difficult decision, but when it came to it, it was so hard to say the words to the vet, even though it wasnt the first time I had gone through something like that. When she was weighed however, and we found out she had lost nearly half a kilo in 3 weeks, despite eating well until the last couple of days, I knew I had no choice, she was wasting away and I couldnt' do that to her. We had a brilliant last night fussing though, and she got to go with someone who loved her, so I am grateful for that. And I wrote an article (posted on here somewhere) about mammary cancer, and vowed to spread the word, which I hope I have. RIP Blackie, I know you are running free from pain and have hopefully met up with your owner. Here is a pic of her last night, and my fav of her

Also, while not cat related, my neighbour had to have her 14 year old dog, Kim, pts on the same day, RIP Kim

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-05-2006, 06:13 PM   #2

Re: Blackie - one year on

So sorry to hear Blackie's story

RIP little girl, free from pain.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
19-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #3

Rip Blackie Run free little girl x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
19-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #4

RIP Blackie & Kim

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
19-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #5

Run free little one x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
19-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #6

How sad But Blackie is now in a better place free of pain and discomfort. Jane - you must've made her time with you such a happy time, and did the final, unselfish act.

Run free at Rainbow Bridge little kitty.