Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Maine coon
10-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #1

Unknown Virus

Hi

I'm new to this site, so I am sure that this has already been answered. Nanook my 9 month old maine coon spent two nights at the vet. She had a very high temperature and was being sick and pooping can't spell diahorea! The vet at first thought is was a blockage in her stomach. After x rays and utrascan he thought it was a virus. She was then transported by me to my vet. Where she underwent more test and blood test. The vet was worried that the temp was not going down so kept her in again. Any way the temp went down and she was on a drip of fluids and antibioctics. She was let out yesterday about 11am (Sunday) I am still having to give two lots of antibioctics twice a day for the next four day.
So after that long drawn out explanation, my question is :- is it normal for her to be so sleepy still? She is eating and pooing/weeing as normal. I think I know the answer but I just want to make sure.

Many thanks
Gina

By the way my spelling is really bad, sorry hope you can read it okay.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
10-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #2

Re: Unknown Virus

I suppose if she has had a really bad virus that has really knocked her for six, she will need extra sleep.
Also I think the antibiotics can make some cats abit groggy which always happens with Maxi one of my cats.
Hope she feels alot better soon and looking forward to seeing some picks of her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #3

Poor sweetie - do hope she picks up soon. She's probably exhausted fighting the virus and I would try not to worry if she's sleeping more than usual atm.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #4

I tend to agree she just needs the extra sleep to help fight off the virus and the aftereffects of the medication. If you're really concerned, why not give the vet a ring just to ease your mind?

Catsey Junior

10-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #5

She seems happy enough when she is awake, so I will give it another day. And the vet has already cost me over £900!!! So glad that I have insurance.

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust274
She seems happy enough when she is awake, so I will give it another day. And the vet has already cost me over £900!!! So glad that I have insurance.

Thank god for insurance, my Maxi has cost me well over a £1000,00 pounds already with various problems so I am glad I have insurance too.

Catsey Junior

10-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #7

I need to get the claim sorted out, the form looks confusing!!

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #8

Which insurance company are you with, I am with Petplan and even though the form looked abit confusing at first it is really quite straight forward and if in doubt over any of the questions most vets will usually help you out.

Catsey Junior

10-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #9

I am with pet plan too. I have to do two forms as she was seen by the out of hours vet and then by my own vet. I will get around to doing it.

Catsey Veteran

10-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #10

If you are with Petplan I doubt you will have any problems, I never have any way