Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
05-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #41

Re: New to Catsey & need advice on my 1st ever pregnant cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Thank you! In my line of work I only care for responsibly owned pets, so I doubt you'd ever be in a position to refuse me.

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
05-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #42

Hi All, I would appreciate you guys looking at this thread:

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=33591

And keeping this one on topic and in spirit of how the thread was started (ie for info).

Thanks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
05-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Have to admit I do agree with Dawn and Elaine, some cat owners do not seem to think outside of the box. If I ever had another female cat I would always make sure she is spayed ASAP. Far far too many cats/kittens in rescue centres. (All of my cats have been rescues - although one private rescue -all of my female cats have been spayed)

However I do hope that everything goes well at the vets.
Same here!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
05-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #44

Hello Yes you should of got your cat spayed but it is too late for that now. I will not say any negative comments but please get her spayed after the birth of her kittens when shes ready. Spaying is a good thing It will help your sweet cat Jessie.

As for the birth of the kittens, I do hope the best for Jessie & the kittens I hope the birth goes smoothly & I hope you find loving homes for the kittens. Make sure you are there when it happens because delivery isn't always easy. There may be problems that you have to help her with. Delivery is going to be messy, hard on Jessie, & a big change for her. Shes going to have to go from just being a cat to having to take care of kittens now. There are so many things you need to know about delivery of kittens. All I can say is just be ready for anything. Best of luck to your precious Jessie

Here are articles that I found for you:

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/CATS/catbirth.HTM (This is a good one)
http://www.ehow.com/how_2260_deliver-kittens.html (Another good one)
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/howto15.html

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
07-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Neutering is FREE
I am confused about the free part. I thought the only way you could get it for a reduced cost is if you were in receipt of certain benefits via a voucher from either the RSPCA or the Cats Protection. Even then the voucher is not worth the full price, you would have to pay the outstanding amount (for example if the voucher was worth £26 and your vet charged £43.90 then you would have to pay £17.90).

But if the OP was not in receipt of benefits, then they would be liable for the full price.

I know occasionally local Cat Protection branches do neutering roadshows (ours did one last year) where they can be done there and then (or in our case, done for free provided people take it to our vets) and some branches offer an chance for it to be done at a much lower cost (£5) but again these are subject to a person being on a benefit.

If someone could help me out in explaining this I would be greatful.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
07-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcspik
I am confused about the free part. I thought the only way you could get it for a reduced cost is if you were in receipt of certain benefits via a voucher from either the RSPCA or the Cats Protection. Even then the voucher is not worth the full price, you would have to pay the outstanding amount (for example if the voucher was worth £26 and your vet charged £43.90 then you would have to pay £17.90).

But if the OP was not in receipt of benefits, then they would be liable for the full price.

I know occasionally local Cat Protection branches do neutering roadshows (ours did one last year) where they can be done there and then (or in our case, done for free provided people take it to our vets) and some branches offer an chance for it to be done at a much lower cost (£5) but again these are subject to a person being on a benefit.

If someone could help me out in explaining this I would be greatful.
Ditto!!!! I wasn't aware of FREE neut/spay either! Only the voucher scheme as detailed above. Though, occassionally a charity will run a free scheme, but they are few and far between...
Maybe the PDSA (people on council tax benefit)????
I will try and find out and post back

Banned

07-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #47

Nope, even PDSA charge for this, though much cheaper than a private vet.
Not all treatment at the PDSA is free/donation, to people on benefits...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
07-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman999
Maybe the PDSA (people on council tax benefit)????
The PDSA say on their certificate (Basically you have to have a certificate in order to get treatment at a level you can afford at. You cannot say that "Oh I am on Housing Benefit" in order to claim help from the PDSA. You have to complete a form, attach proof you are on the correct benefit and give them a Postal Order for £5 in order to get your certificate) that they do not provide help for the cost of the neutering. The certificate also says other thing which they dont pay for e.g. vaccinations. Which means that you have to go to the RSPCA/Cats Protection to get the voucher. But again, that is subject to someone being on benefits, and of course being on the right benefit.

However, that is at the veterinary practices which are part of the PDSA scheme. The PDSA may offer free neutering at one of their hospitals (there is not one in my area though) but I would think that would be subject to someone being on benefits. If someone was on simply a low income (but not claiming any eligible benefit) then they would be liable for the full cost and they would not be able to get it done at a PDSA hospital.

Banned

07-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcspik
The PDSA say on their certificate (Basically you have to have a certificate in order to get treatment at a level you can afford at. You cannot say that "Oh I am on Housing Benefit" in order to claim help from the PDSA. You have to complete a form and give them a Postal Order for £5 in order to get your certificate) that they do not provide help for the cost of the neutering. The certificate also says other thing which they dont pay for e.g. vaccinations. Which means that you have to go to the RSPCA/Cats Protection to get the voucher. But again, that is subject to someone being on benefits, and of course being on the right benefit.

However, that is at the veterinary practices which are part of the PDSA scheme. The PDSA may offer free neutering at one of their hospitals (there is not one in my area though) but I would think that would be subject to someone being on benefits. If someone was on simply a low income (but not claiming any eligible benefit) then they would be liable for the full cost.
Wasn't aware of the £5 postal order to get certificate , are you sure you have your facts right before posting???!!!!
And yes, I realise that you can't just say " I am on benefit".
THE FACTS ARE....They take all your details OVER THE PHONE when you make an appointment, and you sign a form when you attend your vet appointment, and have to supply proof of I.D and a letter confirming you are on Housing benefit or Council tax benefit or both!!! Did some work experience there...

Banned

07-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #50

Oh, and i forgot to say you get a 'Client agreement' that you have to keep and bring with you everytime you attend the PDSA, OR YOUR ANIMAL MAY NOT BE SEEN!!!! It lasts for 6 months even if your circumstances change... And of course you are expected to make a donation of what you can afford on every visit. But some people don't make a donation, which is fine....