Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
10-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #1

Feeding/overfeeding and health problems

I was swithering about putting this in Debate, as it seems such a wide topic, not quite fitted to Heath or Feeding. However, I don't want to step on anyone's toes or set myself up as any sort of expert, so I'll just post here and see what happens.

I was interested to see this article today, reiterating some studies I've seen before, where animals kept on a very restricted diet have a much longer and generally much healthier life.

We can all see that grossly overweight pets do not have a happy life - dogs who can barely put one foot in front of the other and cats who are too big to bend to groom themselves properly, but it seems that, across the species, including humans, it is the very 'spare' specimens who reach a healthy old age (when did you last see a roly-poly opening their 100 year telegram from the queen?) and being even a little over that ideal is damaging to well-being.

That being the case, should we be trying to actually get weight off our furry friends and to reduce their calorific intake? Keep them a little on the lean side? Are we too afraid that they won't love us, that they'll head off next door and demand food, that we actually harm our pets, though misguided love? It's a dilemma, isn't it? Like all 'parents' we want to show our love - and the demonstration of love our fur-babes appear to like best comes on large plates.

I like to see 'chunky' cats but, having thought about more, I think I will aim for the lean look - we can still give them nice things, just not too many.

Any other thoughts?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #2

Re: Feeding/overfeeding and health problems

I very much liked this quote from the article

"People would have to weigh up whether they are prepared to compromise their enjoyment of food for the uncertain promise of a longer life."

I am not a huge foodie, but don't much relish the idea of all the problems associated with old age.

Our pets, of course, can't tell us their preference and we have to use experience and intuition along with veterinary advice to decide for them.

I would suppose that living a longer healthier life on a restricted diet is something that probably gave our ancestors the edge over other species when they needed it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
13-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #3

That is a very interesting article DM, the difference in the monkeys is unbelievable .
Thanks for posting

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #4

Really thought provoking article. Is it worth the effort to live a few years more.Yes, if you are in good health. No, if you are not.

Personally, I hate to see really overweight animals - labs that could double as a dining room table and cats that look like round cushions with legs. But, is it worth keeping them hungry so we can enjoy them a little longer. The opposing argument of course being that they may also be healthier.

The thought of less diabetes, heart disease etc has to be better all round.

I like to feel a covering on the ribs but still feel the ribs, if that makes sense. That is usually how I regulate the amount of food I feed.

Really making me think now.

I just wish I could follow the same principles for myself. Now, I know I have a rib there somewhere

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
14-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #5

I have heard this before relating to rats, rats kept on a restricted diet tend to live twice as long as those on a normal diet.
I think part of the issue is those who are overweight will not need to eat more, they just eat more unhealthy things- you would probably find that many vegetarians live healthier lives than meat eating humans, because they eat less saturated fats. 'Normal' cats foods are made up with a lot of cereals, which are un-natural in a cats diet and may well explain why diabetes is a common problem in cats. I have recently put my cats onto Hi-life because it is nearer their natural diet and they are losing weight on it, and although Misty has just been diagnosed with CRF she has a new lease of life.
I feel though, although animals should not be fat, they should have a covering, and we are all living longer than we used to due to medical advances as are our pets- we have to die of something. I love food and drink and if it shaves a few years off my life, at least I've enjoyed it.