Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #31

Re: FIV positive kitten

Fingers crossed that Polly and the babe have found a lovely new home xxx

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
07-12-2006, 10:30 PM   #32

Smudgley, this is what Glasgow says on the subject

FIV does not generally cross the placenta to the unborn kitten. There is a small possibility of an FIV positive queen infecting her kittens as she bites through the umbilical cord. The test for FIV is an antibody test, cats which are FIV positive have antibodies in their blood. Queens pass antibodies to their kittens in their milk, especially in their first day of life, so that kittens of FIV positive queens can have positive FIV tests, although in fact they are not themselves infected - because of the antibody from their mothers milk. So it is essential that kittens of FIV positive queens are not FIV tested until they are at least 16 weeks old, by which time the antibody they got from suckling should have disappeared. If you really can't wait until they are 16 weeks old to know whether or not kittens are FIV positive, it is possible to do a virus isolation test, though it requires quite a big blood sample for a little kitten to give. Isolating the virus will cost rather more than the routine antibody test.
Kittens which have FIV positive tests are usually not FIV infected. They should be retested after 16 weeks of age.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
07-12-2006, 10:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
Smudgley, this is what Glasgow says on the subject

FIV does not generally cross the placenta to the unborn kitten. There is a small possibility of an FIV positive queen infecting her kittens as she bites through the umbilical cord. The test for FIV is an antibody test, cats which are FIV positive have antibodies in their blood. Queens pass antibodies to their kittens in their milk, especially in their first day of life, so that kittens of FIV positive queens can have positive FIV tests, although in fact they are not themselves infected - because of the antibody from their mothers milk. So it is essential that kittens of FIV positive queens are not FIV tested until they are at least 16 weeks old, by which time the antibody they got from suckling should have disappeared. If you really can't wait until they are 16 weeks old to know whether or not kittens are FIV positive, it is possible to do a virus isolation test, though it requires quite a big blood sample for a little kitten to give. Isolating the virus will cost rather more than the routine antibody test.
Kittens which have FIV positive tests are usually not FIV infected. They should be retested after 16 weeks of age.
As I said before - they have had the virus test NOT the antibody test

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
07-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #34

Oh Smudgley, wouldn't it be just lovely if she takes them both? I have everything crossed here - please let us know..

Catsey Veteran

07-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Oh Smudgley, wouldn't it be just lovely if she takes them both? I have everything crossed here - please let us know..

Thanks Fran -
do you know what? I have a really good feeling about this, not sure why - but I just think it will all work out great. But if she doesn't take both then I'll still be pleased if she has one of them.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
08-12-2006, 12:07 AM   #36

Please keep me posted as i have got one virus carrier and have been thinking about getting another kitten. As mine seem to love playing and be very youth full.. But I couldn't take it for a while as I would need to move house ( I only live in a small place at the moment) where there may be room for one more. But finger crossed the lady who is interested can take it.

Sally

Sally

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
08-12-2006, 12:56 PM   #37

I have a good feeling about this too Smudgley.

What happened to Arthur?

Catsey Veteran

08-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #38

THe lady is having polly but not the kitten.

Arthur - well he's coming back to me on Sunday & hopefully going to a new home the same day.

Catsey Veteran

08-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #39

[quote=tilly;321197]Please keep me posted as i have got one virus carrier and have been thinking about getting another kitten. As mine seem to love playing and be very youth full.. But I couldn't take it for a while as I would need to move house ( I only live in a small place at the moment) where there may be room for one more. But finger crossed the lady who is interested can take it.

The lady has decided not to take on the kitten as she feels it would be too much to take on 2 house cats. Does your cat have FIV?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-12-2006, 03:39 PM   #40

What a shame she couldn't take them both Smudgley I really hope that you find a home for the kitten soon x