Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: heinz 57
28-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #1

Indoor or outdoor??

My oldest cat sylvester is 7 months old and has been neutered. We had intended to let him outside during the day and to keep him in at night,, that isn't his plan though. He wants to stay in all day and go out at night - so far I have refused to let him out but he prowls the windows and doors around 10pm crying to get out. what should i do give in and let him out or make the decision the keep him and his little brother indoors?

Anne

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
28-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #2

Re: Indoor or outdoor??

Cats can be so pernickity cant they!!! Tbh, my 3 cats are all indoor, but if I was to let them out I couldn't sleep knowing they were out at night. Mad I know, but just how I feel lol. I think most on here have their cats in at night too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #3

Cats will want out at night, its their nature and hunting instincts. There is no harm in keeping them as indoor only cats if you prefer that. My cats seem to have learned that I will not let them out at night and so have got used to it. They only get outside in the day time and when i am home coz i live in the city but my back garden has an extremely high wall to stop them getting out into the streets.
I notice you live in the hioghlands, can i ask where?
Watch out you soft southerners, the Scots are invading this forum

28-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #4

Hi Elaine
don't they try to get away even throught the day? I have had sylvester outside during the day, he is happy to stay by my side but won't go anywhere. I always thought it was a bit cruel to keep them indoors but I would rather that than being outside at night - i am in Thurso right at the top!!
Anne

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
28-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #5

My dads family were all from Thurso!! The closest I got was Wick lol.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #6

Cats are nocturnal prowlers and hunters by instinct, but I agree indoor at night is much safer. He should adjust if you stick to it. Have you thought of giving him a good romp/playtime before bedtime to use up some of his energy and make him more disposed to rest? And is it safe in your area: traffic, foxes, feral dogs, traps, etc?

28-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #7

Hi alexgirl!!
Poor you, should have travelled another 10 miles or so to get to Thurso!!

Anne

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #8

Oooh Thurso, that makes you the most northerly one amongst us
No, the wall is 18 - 20 ft high. If they really wanted to get out then i guess they could as i have seen other cats get in and out of the garden but my two either dont want to leave their dear mummy me or are too stupid and lazy to suss it out
Its not cruel to keep them indoors provided there is enough stimulations for them.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #9

Cassie has access to outdoors during the daytime but I always get her in during the evening and lock her catflap.

Sam, my previous cat was a bit like Sylvester...... he went out during the day and I locked him in at night. He was neutered too but he would scratch and "howl" to get outside when it was night time. I had an awful time with him, he even broke a cat flap once with his efforts.. I never gave in to him though ........ I wouldn't sleep knowing I had a cat still outside after dark...

28-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #10

Hi Dandys mom

we always have a good play in the evening - they seem to play in the mornings and sleep afternoons and then play again in the evenings - mind you the pair of them are asleep at the moment!!, they are still getting used to each other though. not feeling so guilty about keeping them in though. we live away from busy roads and I am not sure about foxes etc, but I have heard that there is a group of youths stealing cats and torturing them whether this is true or not I don't know but I don't want to take the chance
Anne