Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
27-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #1

Relocating? HELP

Okay people I need your help here I live in Birmingham - as you know, family, friends...everything here.
But recuperating at the moment I am reconsidering my life....as you do when recovering I have always been aware of jobs (within company) at HO which is Southampton that I could do .... I have put nothing in motion yet....but thinking about a change maybe about time for a move but within company (25 years invested is too long to change when I love my job/company but fancy a change)...
.....so it's approx 116 miles apart B'ham to Southampton....there's the dilemma would I move or stay put or travel......I know lots of people travel to work ie B'ham to London etc ...... or move halfway sort of Swindon/Reading appears to be halfway on map not London (too expensive) suggestions and possible places/areas you would live between Brum and Southampton.... reccomendations appreciated. And places/areas to stay away from
(via PM)

It won't be till end of year so no major rush just feeling the water first...may do nothing of course....but think I might.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
27-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #2

Re: Relocating? HELP

Wow, that's a fair change you are considering Karen! I would say think hard about this, and then think again. I moved down to Telford from Aberdeen, which is about 500 miles. We've been here 7 years now and while I wouldn't move back (well not to Aberdeen and not while the kids live at home), it's still very hard. I don't have as much of a social life here, and less friends, whereas it's been fantastic for the kids (obv not a consideration for you). So some things to ask yourself are;

are you unhappy in your life where you are?
are there advancement opportunities in your current place of work?
would you be able to cope with not having family so near?
would you be better of financially?

just a few thoughts xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #3

Excellent points to consider from Alex!

No comments from me who's living about 10 blocks from where I grew up!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
27-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #4

Well, I love Hampshire and would move there tomorrow, but I think I am bias! It is more expensive generally 'down South' Karen, but there are lots of advantages, sea, beautiful countryside, The New Forest, The Isle of Wight. However, they say home is where the heart (and friends) are, so that would be a major consideration. We moved here from London 15 years ago, I didn't want to move, but it was that or OH lose his job. We have a much bigger house here and have made friends, but I still yearn to move back South one day.

Catsey Veteran

27-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Excellent points to consider from Alex!

No comments from me who's living about 10 blocks from where I grew up!
Thats the thing you see I am exactly 6 miles form where I was born

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Wow, that's a fair change you are considering Karen! I would say think hard about this, and then think again. I moved down to Telford from Aberdeen, which is about 500 miles. We've been here 7 years now and while I wouldn't move back (well not to Aberdeen and not while the kids live at home), it's still very hard. I don't have as much of a social life here, and less friends, whereas it's been fantastic for the kids (obv not a consideration for you). So some things to ask yourself are;

are you unhappy in your life where you are? Nope Happy with life happy with everything really......
are there advancement opportunities in your current place of work? Yeap but been there done that this would be a complete change of pace and direction and of course as still within company (25 years this Nov) I am not changing but still have time served and benefits etc. Plus understand the culture..
would you be able to cope with not having family so near? Question is would they cope without me.......but its at worst 2 1/2 hours away 116 miles (according to aa routefinder) I can spend almost 2 hours getting from one side of Brum to the other in rush hour.
would you be better of financially? Yeap...if I swing the deal I want plus company car...if I get what I want.
just a few thoughts xx
Interesting thoughts though Alex and a lot of my social life is based around work so that would not be a major issue and the job I know I could do.....just the travel side.....move or commute....or rent?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
27-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #6

Communicaton links to Southampton are very good, motorways etc. but the traffic flow can be horrendous at high peak times. If you were to move I would probably consider trying to live in one of the Southampton suburbs rather than doing a daily commute from even somewhere halfway between Birmingham and Southampton.

We live in Fleet in the north of Hampshire and shortly after he'd finished university our son got a job in Southampton. He'd thought he'd save a bit of money (and enjoy some decent house-keeping ) by living at home and commuting, motorway all the way, but it soon got too much and he found a flat-share in Southampton and enjoyed having the extra free time instead of being stuck in a motorway jam. Some of the teachers at my last school travelled in from Southampton and frequently arrived late.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #7

It is a good thing to air any thoughts about future change and to think about them logically and then decide. That's a very good thing.

I have lived on the south coast all my life - as a child in Bognor Regis (which I dislike as a town); work in Chichester, (which I like) and finally moving 16 years ago to where I live now. During the time of my marriage, I have had a couple of "opportunities" to move due to possibilities of my husband's job being relocated. Once to Bournemouth and once to Kettering. Bournemouth and area were just too expensive and I hated Kettering, but liked Market Harborough - and have a good friend in a village just outside Leicester. But at the time we both had ageing parents ............ and finally decided that it wasn't worth the hassle. Maybe we were just scared. I was working at the time and would have had to find a new job.

IMO, financial reward does not compare to the nearness of friends and family, whether through duty or through love. Long standing friendship has to be given weight too and so does knowing where everything is and who to call on in case of any sort of trouble.

Think very hard, and then think again. If you decide to go for it then good luck and come and visit me when you come down to suss out the area!

Catsey Veteran

27-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
Well, I love Hampshire and would move there tomorrow, but I think I am bias! It is more expensive generally 'down South' Karen, but there are lots of advantages, sea, beautiful countryside, The New Forest, The Isle of Wight. However, they say home is where the heart (and friends) are, so that would be a major consideration. We moved here from London 15 years ago, I didn't want to move, but it was that or OH lose his job. We have a much bigger house here and have made friends, but I still yearn to move back South one day.
Good point about the pricing just looking on rightmove and see the difference...only thing is whatever you pay you are likely to recoup given that prices are kinda low now.......could rent but renting is dead money I think(my opinion)
Looking at Swindon sort of distance .

Catsey Veteran

27-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
Communicaton links to Southampton are very good, motorways etc. but the traffic flow can be horrendous at high peak times. If you were to move I would probably consider trying to live in one of the Southampton suburbs rather than doing a daily commute from even somewhere halfway between Birmingham and Southampton.

We live in Fleet in the north of Hampshire and shortly after he'd finished university our son got a job in Southampton. He'd thought he'd save a bit of money (and enjoy some decent house-keeping ) by living at home and commuting, motorway all the way, but it soon got too much and he found a flat-share in Southampton and enjoyed having the extra free time instead of being stuck in a motorway jam. Some of the teachers at my last school travelled in from Southampton and frequently arrived late.
Thanks for that interesting I imagine like B'ham horrendous peak travel, would have to work it out ......always worth thinking out loud though and other opinions.
Question is what are Southampton suberbs?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
27-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #10

I don't think renting would be too bad if you kept your house Karen and rented that out as well. Then with the rent you are getting from your house just pay for the rent on your new house. Don't forget if you go down this route you will have to declare to the Inland Revenue the profit from renting your own house and pay tax on it.

However if the move is something you really want to do I would say go for it, too many people are frightened of following their hearts and you only live once!!