Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
11-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #11

Re: Best foods

Royal Canin is the best food that my budget will allow me to feed my cats, so imo it IS the best food that I can feed them.
If some peoples budgets will only allow them to feed Whiskers,Felix ect, (or if their cats will only eat Whiskers or Felix) then imo they are not feeding them rubbish,they are feeding them the best foods that they can afford.
As MrsH said choosing what to feed your cats is down to personal choice. Dont feel pressurised to spend money that you just havnt got on a more expensive brand if your cats are doing well on another or if somebody else tells you that another particular brand is "better".
Dont let people make you feel guilty for what you are feeding your cats,you know your furbaby better than anybody else and you know when they are happy and healthy.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Bengal
11-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #12

Im a staff nurse and certainly do not have alot of money! (wish i did!) i think when you have animals you take on the responsibilty to give them the best. This does not mean my opinion on food is the best, its what i believe based on what i have read and been told, doesnt mean everyone will agree with me. This is why there are threads like this to find out what people think not to pressurise anyone into buying a particular food. Like i said before i had no idea about food until Betz had an upset tummy.

Looks like you have lots of information to mull over anyway!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #13

I think to align cat food risk to smoking risk is irresponsible - and as a nurse you should know better than to draw that analogy.

I have fed a certain and obviously much-derided dry food for over 10 years and previous tummy upsets completely disappeared with this food.

I have tried nature's menu and it was tollerated for a while. Applaws was left almost untouched by all 3 cats. And these are cats who will eat fresh chicken, salmon and (real) ham.

I'm not paying £1.50 per tin for something that's going to dry out on a plate and I don't care how much I'm told it's good for my cats!

So my opinion would be to go with what your budget will allow and what your cat enjoys!

Catsey Junior

12-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #14

How is that irresponsible?!!!! Maybe i should have compared it to a person having junk food then?! Whatever you compare it with bad food can harm your cat whether you like it or not! This is my opinion which im perfectly intitled to thankyou.

Im simply explaining the way i see things, just because you dont agree with me does not mean my point is not valid.

Im not getting into an arguement i stand by what i say because it is what I believe.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursecroft
How is that irresponsible?!!!! Maybe i should have compared it to a person having junk food then?! Whatever you compare it with bad food can harm your cat whether you like it or not! This is my opinion which im perfectly intitled to thankyou.

Im simply explaining the way i see things, just because you dont agree with me does not mean my point is not valid.

Im not getting into an arguement i stand by what i say because it is what I believe.

Goodness - you and your friends are so horribly defensive aren't you?

I have read and re-read my post several times and I really can't see where I have mentioned that your point of view is not valid. Maybe you'd be kind enough to highlight this for me in a clear, rational and non-emotive manner?

Catsey Junior

12-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #16

And you are seriously unfriendly, of course im going to defend my point. You told me i was irresponsible for pointing out feeding cats bad food effects their health. Im not having this silly arguement over the way something is said in a post it really is ridiculous.

Your post was aggresive towards me by underlining the fact apparantly im a irresponsible nurse. Maybe if you tried to get to know us instead of picking at everything we say you'd see we're actually nice people that are passionate about our animals.

I really dont care what you feed your cats, thats up to you, i was posting to the person that started this thread, im sure they have their own opinions and are quite capable at drawing their own conclusion. I did not post my message to be attacked... again! I really cant see how me believeing in feeding my cat what i feel is best offends you so much.

Please can we stop this now and not ruin another thread.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
12-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #17

Nursecroft - may I ask a question in a genuine attempt to understand something which may be rather disturbing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursecroft
Whiskas is one of the worst offenders, it contains some pretty awful ingredients and the little meat that is in it is often road kills including cats!!
Do you have proof, any evidence to back up this statement? If this is true then it is appalling, if the proof of this statement cannot be produced, then I am very concerned that you have raised it in a public forum, leaving the way open for the manufacturer to sue for libel! I read the article that you quoted but no manufacturers were named in it. May I ask where your information came from?

Catsey Junior

12-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #18

Yeh sure You only have to look at the ingredients to see why.

Whiskas wet food pouches:

Ingedients: Chicken, Liver, Meat by-products, Modified Corn Starch, Colour, Natural Flavour, Vegetable Oil, Vegetable Gums, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Salt, Taurine, Vitamins and Minerals, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Nitrite (for colour retention), BHA/BHT, Water Sufficient for processing.

- chicken and liver but no word on what grade of meat.
Meat by-products are not meat - they're parts of an animal not fit for human consumption
Look - it also has BHA and BHT - both are chemical preservatives and carcinogenic (cause cancer)... I believe they've banned both from human products.
Sodium tripolyphosphate - sure it's good... for CLEANING PRODUCTS.
Disodium EDTA - this is TOXIC
Salt, modified cornstarch and artificial colours?!

Correct me anyone if im wrong i got the ingredient list from the net as i dont have any actual packets.

http://www.messybeast.com/cat-food-industry.htm

http://www.azmira.com/ToxicFoods.htm

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/7Secrets.html

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/redflag.html

http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1

http://alter-idem.smartmonkey.org/ca...badandugly.htm

http://hubpages.com/hub/Whiskas_Temp...avor_Cat_Treat

Like i have said before i knew nothing about food before i had problems with Betz, i had moggies before that i fed on whiskas/felix because i didnt know any better. I dont want to offend anyone I have been really shocked at what they put in the food i used to feed my cats and feel people should know.

Mummsy has spoken to alot of cat manufacturers, she knows way more than me so ask her if you like.

I hope this is useful?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
12-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #19

Thank you Nursecroft, that was very interesting. I know you feel strongly about ethically produced pet-food, however you did not direct your answer to my specifically highlighted words from a previous post of yours.

Where is the evidence that Whiskas ( named directly by you) does actually use "road kills including cats" None of the articles you quoted specifically states that this company carries out this practice. Unless you have direct evidence to support your specific claim, then I repeat that you are leaving the way open for the manufacturer to sue for libel.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
12-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #20

i think you should feed what you can afford, if you are not happy with prepacked food then maybe make your own, i have done this with the dogs for many years and yes they were much better on it but sometimes when defrosting large amounts of meat in this heat its not nice to live with, or to keep large amounts of meat as i dont have the room any more (i know it wont be such large amounts with cats).

at the moment the cats are on wet and dry, i am thinking about changing the wet for raw but i want to get rosie very settled first. the dry is royal canin and at the moment both are fine on it.

were ever you look online you will find that dry is bad then go to a different site and wet is bad then on to another site and raw is bad, its up to you to feed the best you can afford and at this time where money is getting tight for a lot of people the middle run foods will just have to do