Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
23-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #1

Had an awful day.

We had to rush Marigold the guinea pig to the vet this am to be PTS. She came to us a few years ago after being adopted from
P@H adoption centre, they accepted her and her brother for adoption although they were not old enough to be weaned and weren't eating. A lady who had guineas took them and reared them, she kept the boy to be bonded with her own one but asked if we would take the girl. Marigold never grew very much and was only about 2/3 of the size of a normal adult guinea pig and always drank a lot. Lately she had been losing weight and drinking more ( and having a wet bum). I took her to the vet and concluded she was in renal failure, although the vet thought she was very bright. She has been eating well and bright, although thin and drinking, however today she was weak and tucked up so I took her in to be PTS. I knew it was the end and even from putting her in the car to the time we got to the vet she had deteriorated. She was only 2.5 years old, although I found out her brother died in a similar was a while ago.

In the afternoon we found Olive, our 11 year old mam pig, walking in her run, wobbly a and dragging her nose against the wall. We have known Olive most likely had an abdominal tumour as she was losing weight along her top line while becoming swollen in her stomach. The vet said it wasn't her heart, she wasn't jaundiced so didn't think it was her liver but likely to be a tumour somewhere ( uterine tumours are common in pigs!). Olive was not a hands on pig and I would not put her through an ex-lap to find out what was going on so we were monitoring her and giving horse Metacam.
I knew, when I saw her it was the end, the vet came out and managed to PTS using a vein in her ear. I was dreading her dying as I had been told they either had to use a captive bolt or a gun, but it was peaceful and calm. In a way it happened at the best time, we were both there, so neither suffered for long and Olive had left her bed and her daughters which meant we did not have to deal with them ( shut them in their bed) and it made removing her body from the pen as easy as it could be. I know it sounds callous but with large animals it's something you have to consider for your own safety and the upset of their companions. Her daughters, Kerry and Patsy look sad and I'm sure it will take them time to recover the loss of their mum, which upsets me more than our own loss.

Rest in peace girls, we will miss you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #2

Re: Had an awful day.

What a terrible day you've had farthing. Poor Marigold and Olive - RIP sweeties.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
24-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #3

So sorry for the loss of two of your precious pets, Farthing. You will be glad when this day comes to an end.Sleep peacefully Olive and wee Marigold.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
24-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #4

Never easy to say goodbye to loved ones even when we do it for the best reasons. May Olive and Marigold be as happy in spirit as you made them in life, farthing. x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
24-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #5

So sorry Farthing. You seem to have had very poorly animals recently. It is very hard to lose any animal, especially ones you have rescued. Olive and Marigold will always be with you in your heart.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #6

So sorry for your loss - thinking of you x