Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #1

Boxers - the dogs not the people

Never really had any dealings with Boxers mostly because Sal was "run at" by one as a pup and she disliked them, thinking back I think it was more "pushed her over than an attack....but she was only a few months old and you do worry but today I saw a gorgeous Boxer pup and must say I was impressed I do not see many about now.

I liked him.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
07-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Re: Boxers - the dogs not the people

Boxers are a very popular breed here in NZ, Kazz. I don't know much about them ,but I hear they can be quite a handful. They are lovely dogs though with beautiful faces. A breed of dog we don't see much here is the corgi.

Catsey Veteran

07-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky
Boxers are a very popular breed here in NZ, Kazz. I don't know much about them ,but I hear they can be quite a handful. They are lovely dogs though with beautiful faces. A breed of dog we don't see much here is the corgi.
Not a lot of corgi's here either at least not that I see I believe they are on the vunerable breed list here.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
07-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #4

i wouldn't choose a Boxer because i prefer dogs with a decent muzzle but i have known some nice Boxers in the past.
As for Corgis, i saw one on the caravan site last week but it's true you dont see many at all.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
07-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #5

Like Boxers, wouldn't have one gift wrapped i'm afraid. My brother has one, mad as a box of frogs, gorgeous girl but hyper. She wiggles from head to tail, which is lovely, but she's a bit too energetic for me.

Wouldn't mind a Corgi. OH said they are a bit nippy but that was their job so I'm not surprised. Prefer Pembrokes to Cardigans. Other dogs you don't see many of, which I like, are Sealyhams and Clumbers. I would be wary of getting a rare breed. My oldest brother has had awful problems with Wolfhounds because of the very small gene pool.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
07-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #6

They can be very bouncy dogs. We fostered one and I admit, I fell in love. He was a rescue dog who had been witnessed being punched in the face, and he was still lovely. They do have a lot of health issues and at our vet we have mainly really lovely boxer but a few really dodgy ones who will bite!

I've met a few corgis, actually nicer natured than I thought they would be. We are sure, our Sandy is a corgi/ Shetland sheepdog cross, he is a bold ankle nipper!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
07-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #7

Funny you should mention wolfhounds Fecto's Mum, because my sister has 2 Irish wolfhounds. She has had many wolfhounds in the past and has bred several litters, but is not doing so now. I think the 2 she has now are imports from Australia. They are nice dogs but are not terribly friendly(more aloof, rather than vicious) and her 2 have VERY delicate stomachs. I know she has to be very careful with their food -They are on Addiction food which is very expensive.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
07-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #8

I've met a few wolfhounds and they were really calm and friendly, their biggest issue was health and longevity- they have a short lifespan due to quite a few heredity problrms

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
08-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #9

My Boxer Maggie, is the most chilled out. laid back dog you could meet..She is 100% in everyway....

Catsey Veteran

08-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #10

A breed I have not seen in years are chows my neighbour used to show them well she had two they were aloof and not friendly at all.