Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
09-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #1

More dogs, rabbits and a parrot!

Over the last few months we have been asked to take in numerous animals- horses we have had to turn away but we have tried to help others.

With rabbits we have taken in 5- 2x 5 year old males, one of whom had such bad teeth, he died under the anaesthetic during the dental but was resuscitated while under, a girl with cystitis and mastitis, another girl booked into be PTS due to aggression ( only a year old ) and a 10 year old boy.

We have also taken in 3 more dogs, taking us up to
11. One is, at a guess a corgi/ Shetland sheepdog cross, who is at least 10 years old- as soon as he arrived he needed a dental and had 7 teeth removed. 2 more arrived today, a. 15 year old and 11 year old border collies.

Finally we took in an Arfican grey parrot, who is amazing. His owner had COPD and the dander from his ( it's- not sexed) was making her much worse. Harvey also has a deformed wing but that doesn't hold him? Back. We adore him.

Added to this we have helped rehomed 20 more rabbits via Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care in Glasgow, who are a rabbit specific rescue we work with. They are a great rescue and because we don't have rabbit specific rescue up here, take rabbits down to Glasgow, neuter, vaccinate and then find home checked homes for them.

It's been a busy year so far!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #2

Re: More dogs, rabbits and a parrot!

Good to hear from you farthing and you are obviously keeping up the good work! I had no idea that rabbits could live so long ....... a 10 year old? Or have I misunderstood? Love the sound of the parrot, he's obviously "come home".

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #3

No, rabbits, if looked after, neutered, vaccinated and if they have good genetics ( dental issues being the biggest problems ) can live to 10-12 years old. We have quite a few 7- 9 year olds here.

Harvey, the African grey is also 10, but that makes him a baby!

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #4

I'm amazed about the bunnies! Knew about the longevity of parrots - Harvey is staying???

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #5

Yes, Harvey is staying. His owner wanted him to go to a permanent home. We were impressed because they could have sold him and his cage for £400 but were more concerned about the home he went to. We were anxious that we could not offer the stimulation he would require and have agreed that if we feel he is unhappy will look elsewhere, however he seems pleased to share a room with Fiona the kakariki. We raised some money with a bag pack recently and the money raised is going towards a much larger cage and toys to keep him busy.

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

It's a very good thing that Harvey's owner was concerned about where he went. It's probably very sad for them to have to part with him because of illness. Rehoming loved animals is very hard but is obviously the best thing for the animal if circumstances are against them - but I do expect that rescues, like yourselves, see the other end most of the time where owners don't care like they should.

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #7

Yes, we see both ends. The corgi cross was rehomed to a teenager, no questions, no home check, no care.
He had pus coming from his teeth, cataracts and is very nippy. Imagine, handing over a pet without a care as to who they go too, especially in Peterhead here, where dog fighting rings exist!

Catsey Veteran

09-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #8

Doesn't bear thinking about - it is an uphill struggle to get many humans to consider very basic care and animal rights. Those that do are true warriors IMO.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
10-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #9

Sounds like you do a great job Farthing. Most of our animals are rescues, I get angry with people who either don't care or are deliberately horrible to animals. I think basic animal care should be taught in schools. A lot of neglect is through ignorance. Also extremely expensive vet fees are another cause. We recently had to have our lurcher to the vet for an emergency caesarean after an accidental mating. The 2 pups were too large for her and were unfortunately both died. Included in the bill was a charge of £70 for the disposal of the pups!! The original bill was £1350, after querying this we got it down to £600!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
10-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #10

Oh Farthing, I feel so sorry for that poor corgi dog with all its health problems. It must have been in so much pain. I do agree with Fecto's mum. Vets bills are ridiculous and not everyone can afford pet insurance.So many people treat animals as disposable pets and it makes me sick. I'm glad you're keeping the grey. I grew up with a macaw and I love the big parrots, but they do get extremely bonded to their owners and if rehomed, can develop a lot of problems through stress. Harvey sounds as if he will be just fine.I was recently offered a baby hand reared eclectus parrot from a breeder friend, and was very tempted, but with 5 cats and a budgie, decided not to take him.