Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
08-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #1

Freyja, finding out if she's spayed.

Freyja, our recent addition was found very poorly on a road and taken to our vets. She was crawling with lice, thin and weak but nothing else was apparent. She is FIV/ FeLV negative The vets think she is a youngish cat, we think she has perhaps Bengal in her and she is very sweet.
We were asked to take her and treat her for the lice infestation, while waiting to see if anybody claimed her-nobody did.
We don't know if she has been Spayed and rather than put her through a possibly needless op, we are using a series of blood samples to let us know. It involves injecting so chemical, taking a blood test and then another 2 hours later.
Just wondering if anybody had tried this before?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #2

Re: Freyja, finding out if she's spayed.

Not heard of this possibility farthing. What a good thing if reliable.

Poor wee Freyja, best wishes for a good recovery.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
08-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #3

That's a great step forward. Probably some sort of hormone test. Both Posh and Pandora were operated on to check for a spey, as it turned out both needed to have the job done but I would have hated to have put them through anaesthesia for nothing. Not to say the cost! Kisses for Freyja xx

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
08-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

Poor wee Freyja. I don't know about testing to determine if she has been speyed but I'm sure she'll be much happier when she is free of lice. Thank goodness for people like you, farthing, that are willing to go the extra mile and offer shelter and care to those animals that need it. Hope all goes well for young Freyja.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
08-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #5

Never heard of this test but it's a good idea. An unknown history is a bit of a gamble but it always pays off. I hope Freyja recovers well, you seem to have the sort of cats we have. Whenever we have a 'vacancy' a cat in need usually turns up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
28-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #6

It turns out Freyja is not spayed, she's booked in next Thursday. I rather thought she wasn't, but with Eric estimated to be about 7-8 years old, I have to wonder if shes spent her life being a frustrated house cat or had numerous litters of kittens.
I do think she may have Bengal in her and wonder if she has been a breeding queen, in poor conditions, explaining her louse ridden condition when found.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #7

Poor Freyja - she'll hopefully pick up after spaying and being louse-free.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
28-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #8

If the poor girl was a breeding queen kept in those conditions, then that breeder should never be allowed near any animal again.Freyja is now safe ,thank goodness. I hope all goes well with her spey on Thursday. She sounds such a beautiful girl.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
28-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #9

Freyja will be a new puss soon lice free and without her (probably) worn out womb. Let's hope she gets to spend her life healthy and happy now Bengals, are they the vocal ones? If so she must have been a joy to have around in season! Pretty though.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
28-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #10

Freyja must feel much better already now she is clean, fed and loved. She will feel better when she has been spayed too I bet. Bless her. She sounds a lovely girl.