Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Dora has eaten a whole onion

This will be the most expensive bowl of soup in the world .... I was making stock for chicken noodle soup and had finished it, and left the chicken bones and stock vegetables, which included a humungeous onion, carrot and celery to cool in a plastic bag in the sink while I went to have my lunch. Heard a noise from the kitchen, ran out and found the remains of the bag with left over herbs and celery on Dora's bed.

We have been to the vet and the vet has phoned the Poisons centre for advice. Because of the chicken bones, the vet did not want to make Dora vomit, so she is on powdered charcoal to help the nasties in the onion to not be absorbed, hopefully it will all pass through her gut. She'd had a blood test so they have a baseline if we need to take her back and I have been warned of the signs to look out for, pale gums, listlessness and strong coloured urine. The fact that the onion was cooked lessens the risk somewhat.

Evidently not all dogs will necessarily get anaemia from eating onions as a lot depends on their individual metabolism - please keep your fingers crossed that Dora will be a lucky girl and escape the possible consequences. She will be on close watch for the next 5 days.

When will I learn to shut her out of the kitchen if there's no-one to supervise her????? My fault I know. Dora will never learn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
01-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #2

Re: Dora has eaten a whole onion

Aww Angie. I do hope she is ok. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for her x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #3

Blinking heck what a shock......... hope she is good.
That's the lurcher in her maybe you should get a barn door into the kitchen but remember it would need to be the bottom half you closed.

Catsey Veteran

02-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #4

Well, we have had a peaceful night. Dora is beginning to poop black, so the charcoal is getting through with no obstruction, that's very good news. We just need to keep our fingers crossed that her robust digestive system has not absorbed those onion nasties. She seems fine in herself and went out for her usual walk with her daddy and Monty this morning and he reported that she seems OK .... but it's too early whether she's out of the woods yet. She's having 3 small meals for the next few days well laced with charcoal, my hands seem to have a permanent sooty bloom on them, but that's a small price really.

Please keep her in your thoughts - I know that good wishes do help me, and keeping my spirits up must help Dora.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
02-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

Just read this now,Angie, sending healing thoughts for Dora xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
02-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

Hope all is still good............

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
03-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #7

Ours have had cooked onions before now with no ill effects. & that too was by accident. Hoping she is ok x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
04-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #8

I never realised that the humble onion was such a danger to dogs! Thankfully my Bronnie was't food curious and only ate her kibble with the occasional piece of toast.
Hope that Dora continues to show no ill effects from her feast and that the charcoal treatment has been effective... naughty Dora!

Catsey Veteran

04-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

We were not happy with the colour of Dora's gums this morning, so phoned the vet for an appointment later this afternoon.

We are back from the vet and saw one of the more experienced partners this time. So far, so good but we won't be past all danger until Friday. He showed us how to check Dora's ocular membrane which is a better indicator than gums. Please keep Dora in your thoughts until Friday - we could take her back then for a blood test to be absolutely sure she's OK - we will see how things go between now and then.

I've been on edge all day, worried about her so I am feeling a bit of relief this evening although I know that the danger has not passed yet.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
04-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #10

fingers crossed for her angie xx