Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
30-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

off leash training

Afternoon everyone
I have a question for our dog owners especially rescue dogs. We have been trying to work on recall with barney but it hasn't been too successful and im not keen on the trainers training techniques.

My question is, how have other owners worked on and gotten results for off leash recall? Any help would be appreciated

At the moment, I am reading a book called total recall by pippa mattinson. Her training so far looks good and simple to try. Wonder what my night is going to consist of!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #2

Re: off leash training

I'll see if I can find our trainer's handout about recall, Pamela. I would expect that it will be harder with an older dog. Monty was a very young pup when he was first let off lead outdoors and he didn't stray far from his safety blanket (my OH). Dora was a bit older, but not by much and she is such a foodie that you only have to show her a bit of sausage and she comes straight to you (well, she'd probably go to anyone with a sausage!) The only thing I can think is start with short distances and build up, but that rather needs two of you.

Catsey Veteran

30-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

That would be great Angie. The trainer we have just drops the lead and tells us to walk away whilst barney does his own thing but it takes far too long for him to check in with us and realise we aren't there. Not keen on that method as he just lets barney walk away. He can totally ignore food treats if his attention isn't on us and he doesn't play with toys.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
30-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #4

Hmmm well I have always had dogs from pups so recall has never been an issue whereas now with Bella who is 5 and has an uncertain past (she has the scars to prove something has happened) however she cannot talk.

So I have done off lead once since having her I must admit I will not do it again soon because after over 3/4 of my life having and walking dogs I realised rescue (adult) is different she had not got that "link/bond" with me.

In her life I was then one of many humans possibly passing through.

So I was lucky we were without temptations when we tried the off lead (being a staff I went dog free) however not secure.

So I have really thought about it and decided to go to basics like you would with a pup "getting to know each other" but remember that she comes with pre programmed reactions to certain situations hence we have not gone off lead since then.
She is road walked four times a day. Some just walking and seeing her reaction to situations (she is scared of thunder fireworks) one reactive to people/bikes/pushchairs/wheelchairs/scooters......but this is on lead and under control of the lead.

Off lead would be another ball game...... on all our daily walks I get her attention with a small treat (kibble from her daily allowance) I also do this training before her tea . I speak I just use the word "come" even if she is 1/2" from me - she stops turns looks at me expecting a treat which now is often substituted with a pat/fuss rather than a treat.

And in the last 2 weeks or so she has started to step into family life.....rather than watch from outside. She leans against me now and searches me out rather than watch from a distance. She has come to understand the routine....and maybe that she is home. Watching her settle in makes me realise why people have rescue/adults. The pro's outweigh the cons. But the cons are more apparent than with a pup who is mouldable.

She also sits at gutters and when I stop to speak to people. It is all part of encouraging her to trust and listen to me and nothing will happen when she is with me - she does not need to react to other dogs or anything I can control the situation.

So off lead I am happy to have her stay on lead all her life. Although I do have a long lead about 10m but it takes a bit of getting used to however you do not have to use all of it I reduce it up to 2/3rds with a "tie-it/" but I am going to start using that on our "country early morning day off walks" letting her have a little freedom and how the land lies- but I do prefer that to an extendable lead - they have no place in a Stafford(strong dog life) who is not already trained. They have there place with dogs who are trained but not I do not think for dogs who are reactionary to anything. In my opinion.

But you could try doing off lead training as I did with mine as pups.....secure space try a tennis court and make sure you can get their attention in a boring space before introducing the wide world of temptations.
You could try in the garden calling him then treating him with food or a tug game or something then your OH calling him and again treat then you call him. But stop before he gets bored maybe twice each call him in for his dinner make him sit/wait so he is learning you want him he comes regardless of his opinon and good luck. And in essence you already have him off lead in the house - use that as a training ground.....dogs are creatures of habit and routine so make it a routine he obeys you. But in a non confrontational way. Its still early days

Catsey Veteran

30-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #5

I am just off out with Bella and then to work so will not be back till tomorrow......I have to say when Bella first arrived here I could have sat naked and whistled Dixie and she would not have taken a blind bit of notice she was encased (my thought) in self protective mode.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #6

Really good observations there from Kazz ..... of course a rescue will react differently from a pup, which is what I was trying to get at earlier. A long lead (like a pony halter) is a much better idea than a retractable lead (which our trainer bans), so many accidents can be caused to handler and dog.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
31-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #7

What age is he now? How long have you had him?

Catsey Veteran

31-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #8

velvetbhe is about 6. we have had him 7weeks tomorrow.

thanks for the advice kazz and angie

Catsey Veteran

31-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamela81
velvetbhe is about 6. we have had him 7weeks tomorrow.

thanks for the advice kazz and angie
Have you got any history on him. Although really early days .

Catsey Veteran

31-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #10

no history kazz except that he was part of a welfare order. he wasnt underweight and doesnt cower with people. quite the opposite infact. we were told he is hood with other dogs. hmmmm...... we have a training session with the 1 2 1 trainer on monday and that will be te last with him for a while. We have been speaking to another trainer who comes to our area we are going to meet with. I think its better them coming to our area than us goin to theirs