Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

Petrified

Bella is completely petrified of the thunder. She has been panting, and generally trying to find somewhere anywhere to get away from it - since about 4am this morning. It has eased off here the thunder that is but due back. She is totally stressed so suggestions. She is still panting even though there is no thunder.

Have put the TV on in both kitchen/living room but don't think that's helping at all - mind you the thunder has been rolling and loud.
Not been over fussing her just acting normal - she is now under the kitchen table panting.

Poor dog and she was going okay, when I opened the back door to run out to the shed and she panicked maybe thinking we were putting her out which I wasn't and feel terrible now (We know she was kept outside) which I imagine was a living nightmare for her with this thunder fear - or maybe that caused it.

So any suggestions....... No idea if she has always had this as you know she is a SBT rescue and 5 years old.

Although I think this bodes poorly for the fireworks..... maybe look at something like Bella is completely petrified of the thunder. She has been panting, and generally trying to find somewhere anywhere to get away from it - since about 4 this morning. It has eased off here for now but due back. She is totally stressed so suggestions.
Have put the TV on in both kitchen/living room but don't think that's helping at all - mind you the thunder has been rolling and loud.
Not been over fussing her just acting normal - she is now under the kitchen table panting.
Poor dog and she was going okay just opened the back door to run out to the shed and she panicked (We know she was kept outside) which I imagine was a living nightmare for her with this thunder fear - or maybe that caused it.

So any suggestions....... No idea if she has always had this as you know she is a SBT rescue and 5 years old.

Although I think this bodes poorly for the fireworks.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #2

Re: Petrified

Oh dear poor Bella ......... you could try some Rescue Remedy to try and give her some help now but in the long term I think desensitizing is the only long term cure. This may be best done by a behaviourist, considering Bella's unsure history.

We escaped storms last night, but we know that Monty hates fireworks. We've bought a CD to try and work with him on that ..... I guess we ought to start doing it now in order to build up for November.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

Thanks Angie I did think we may have an issue with fireworks as she takes notice of backfiring cars and those loud motor bikes when out but nothing more than looking I mean we walk by train tracks at the back of u and live not on but close to the flight path for B'ham airport too.
Never thought of thunder as an issue.
I know different now though.
She appears happier when everyone is awake sadly being awake at 4 in the morning. is not acceptable unless I am at work.

Hmm may pop to PAH and get some Seraum stuff odd I looked at that yesterday in prep for fireworks but never did anymore than look at it. In fact off I go.

She did not whine - cry - scratch - bark - howl - dig nothing but paces then settle in weird yet with thinking about it dark places behind the chair in living room. She likes the WC - could not risk the bathroom as the shower is glass and did not know how she would react with all the pacing etc.
She did not like under the bed but kitchen table seems okay to her.

Catsey Veteran

23-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #4

Maybe look at getting her a Thundershirt (no pun intended)? I have asked a general "petrified of storms" question on the Schnauzer forum and will let you know if anyone comes up with good recommendations.

Catsey Veteran

23-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #5

Kazz, I got the following recommendations from someone I trust on the Schnauzer forum:

http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog...ale rian.html ... the person who recommended this also says that may not be the cheapest source to get it from, worth shopping around but make sure it's the genuine thing. She also says that she would get the spray, and then you can spray it on your hands and rub it on Bella's muzzle and around her shoulders if a storm is in the offing.

Another person also recommended it after seeing good effects with her dog. A homeopath also advised it's use with another dog (both these dogs are rescues with problems).

You may also like to read up on Patricia McConnell's website for advice
http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/thu...nd-sensitivity

As I say these recommendations come from a person whose advice I would trust and who has good experience with rescued dogs.

Hope this helps Bella.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
23-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #6

Ranger isn't fazed by fireworks at all, but last nights storm freaked him out. The noise of the thunder was horrendous! Perhaps fireworks won't be as bad for Bella, nowhere near as loud.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
23-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

DAP diffusers are good, they are the canine version of Feliway

A couple drops of Rescue Remedy on her tongue may help

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
23-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #8

Gypsy is also terrified of thunder and fireworks, I give her Skullcap & Vallerium which seems to really help, she sleeps through it all....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
23-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #9

Karen, i too was going to suggest a thundershirt, have a look at the info and see what you think.
We are considering one for kwame to keep calm passing other dogs.
I have heard that if the dog is scared of something then it helps to speak in a happy ,jolly voice and give her a high value treat. think the theory is the dog will eventualy associate the thunder with a pleasant treat.