Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
29-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #1

At last - it's over

I went to the dentist today to get the two back teeth & wisdom teeth removed. I knew it would be bad but even I didn't envisage how unpleasant it would be

The first tooth he had to cut in half as the x-rays didn't show it's bulbous roots. As he was moving it about, to loosen the socket all the infection was seeping up

When he came to the second tooth i had to stop him as it was so painful - lots more local anaesthetic, he said it was because the infection was under this tooth. This tooth didn't want to leave me either

The Wisdom tooth was lying on it's side and hard to get at but he got it eventually.

He said normally they would let the gums /jaw bones settle for couple of months before thinking of doing anything more however in my case after the grim time I had today, he feels it would be more appropriate to leave it until the New Year - don't think there is a smiley for a weak smile!

I was quite shell shocked for a while especially having an hours drive home! However it's over & done with now and I can only look forward to a life without constant tooth infections & pain on that side - dentist said he didn't know how I had stood it for so long

So any pain & discomfort I feel now whilst the sockets are healing I can endure, as I know things can only get better from now on

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainecoonXSiamese boys & lucky dip
29-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #2

Re: At last - it's over

Oh Velvet I was cringing just imagining the pain while reading your post. I had no complications and nothing out of the ordinary when I had my wisdom teeth removed and that was sore enough for me!

I hope it heals soon and you are right that things can only get better from now. You will probably realise when this is all over and healed just how bad it actually was and how much you put up with!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #3

OMG, Velvet! How horrible; don't know how you stood it without GA!! This is the last sort of post a dentist-phobic person needs to read!! And you were able to drive home....???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
29-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
OMG, Velvet! How horrible; don't know how you stood it without GA!! This is the last sort of post a dentist-phobic person needs to read!! And you were able to drive home....???
Sorry Eileen! Im dentist phobic too, i told him yesterday i was petrified, which i was! I go but Only to prevent more problems than i ever have had - which have been considerable as i have soft crumbling teeth

I have problems with GA's, my body shuts down. Happens every time no matter how light the GA. Last time i had a day procedure, it was only a ERCP- tube down to investigate gall bladder etc & apparently i had everyone in absolute panic. I had told them i didnt want any memories of the procedure so mustve got small GA - didnt ask them what they did. For day procedure they kept me in for couple days

So altho i had option of GA yesterday thought it prudent not to. Came home, fed mum her lunch, tended to animals & then sat down - absolutely shattered

Ive not much swelling today, face/mouth sore but hey got my teeth cleaned this morning - hurrah. Felt so dirty not washing them last night i will take a Ibuprofen shirtly which will help then feed everyone / clean cat trays etc - housework can wait today District nurse coming about 10-ish to dress mums leg

Heard last night of wee 5 month kitt - broken leg, owners left in vets & dont want to know, wee leg too badly damaged, will need removed...... Another 6 week emaviated found in a car park. Animal angel we got Tim & Amber from has the baby & will get the other one when released from vets to nurse back to health

When all said & done i had/ have darn good dentist xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
29-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #5

You are one brave strong woman Velvet - I've had dental problems on and off, many extractions etc. but nothing as bad as you described.

Hope that things calm down very quickly. I always found salt mouthwash good at helping healing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
29-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #6

I echo that, a very brave and strong woman! Take care today, pamper yourself, you've earned it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
29-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #7

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch for all that dental work a medal is required for what you've been through. Take it nice and easy now!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
29-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #8

You are brave Velvet...took me all my time to go for a filling!
Hope it starts to feel better soon......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
29-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #9

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm actually feeling physically sick reading that. I'm severely dentist phobic, due to horrific experience in my teens. I also know that I'm going to have to face almost exactly what you've gone through at some point very soon. I'm getting constant toothache and infections, but I haven't worked up the guts to make even a check up appointment yet If I have the option of GA, believe you me, I'm taking it!!!!!!!!

Well done you for managing to go through with it x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
29-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #10

I hope you got a sticker Helen
Seriously i hope your mouth heals quickly, you poor thing.
i'm terrified of going to the dentist too