Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #1

Urticaria

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas about this.

I started getting urticaria-type rashes after my reaction to neoprene last year. Firstly it developed on my legs as reaction to cold and my hands/arms if in contact with cold water. My ears too would go red and feel like they were burning if I went out without a hat pulled down over them. Now, after the trigger of the wasp sting, it is all over - arms, legs and feet too I think. So itchy and uncomfortable.

OH thinks it's a reaction to the amount of antihistamine I've been taking but after researching that this afternoon (now I have computer back) I would disagree and I've just had to take another tablet. I know there are different antihistamines and I have been taking an old sort (Piriton) which I had in store in case Monty got stung! Will go to the chemist tomorrow and see what else is available.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #2

Re: Urticaria

Ouch, sorry. I have no idea, am utterly unfamiliar with this; why not give your doctor a ring? Or check with the pharmacist?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #3

I take Loratidine Angie, its the one-a-day antihistamine but you cant mix it with likes of Pirition, its one or other

I would be inclined to check with doc as your symptoms sound a bit extreme & very uncomfortable. Ive to take them all year round

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
12-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #4

I don't reckon it's a reaction to histamine..

It sounds like your immune system is possibly over compensating still somewhere along the line there post wasp sting. Do you have any auto immune disorder going on that your doctor's aware of angieh, arthritis or suchlike..?

I would be inclined to walk into your local pharmacist and tell them what you've told us, then if they're not any help book an appointment with your doc who may want to run a couple of tests to rule things out.

Sorry I can't be any more help.. Have you changed your washing powder recently? New clothes, new rug, throw, I can't think of anything else at the moment.

I used to take Piriton, for many years it was all I knew, but like Velvet I've found Loratidine has fewer side effects and is just as good. I use Piriton only if I need to sleep now, lol.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies. Have to say I do generally take Loratadine, but had just about run out - had the Chlorphenamine in the cupboard for Monty (as I'd been told Piriton equivalent is safe to use for dogs).

No immune problems that I'm aware of, although perhaps the beginnings of arthritis as some of my knuckles have been sore and a bit swollen - for a couple of years really, so I usually take glucosamine but haven't while I've been taking the antihistamine.

Think you're right though. Will go to the chemist tomorrow and see what they say.