Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
07-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #1

Animal Abuse Awareness Day

Time: Sunday, 15 January 2012

About the Day:
Buy a bunch of roses and put them in your window to show your support. The colour of the rose doesn't matter. Sit by the roses for a while and think about the suffering animals must feel when they are abused and please help stop animal abuse once and for all.

Donating money is optional. I have worked in animal rescue and know the sort of thing humans can inflict on animals. That's why I set up this awareness day. If people donate then that will help the charity but it won't make people think about the way they treat animals.
[removed]

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
07-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

Re: Animal Abuse Awareness Day

Will do, and you're right, education is the key..It's something that's always been at the front of my mind whenever I give towards animal welfare, try to give to educating and also we can all do our own bit as well as loving the animals in our care by educating the general public whenever we get the chance, be it the lady at the checkout or your neighbour, there is always a way to slip in little known facts about cruelty and preventing it!

In the meantime I pray every night for all the animals of this world who endure pain and suffering at the hands of human ignorance, selfishness, and greed. Animals ask so little of us, yet give us so much, unconditional love being one of them. They deserve so much more..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #3

You're right, there needs to be heightened awareness of this horrible problem ......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

I think an awareness is day is good but how exactly does a bunch of roses in my window help to educate or raise awareness about the subject?

Catsey Veteran

07-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #5

Donations to who?
There are a few pet awareness events, national, organised ones.
http://www.promoteright.co.uk/Custom...ness-days.aspx

I understand the intention is good but you post these things and they never seem to be very well thought out to me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
07-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #6

Donations to a charity of your choice, the roses are symbolic but the whole idea was for people to sit and think about the way they treat animals and to teach them that animals have feelings too, not just cats but all animals.

Catsey Veteran

07-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #7

Working with animals every day, I am always thinking about how I treat them and what I can do to better what I already do.
In what way are the roses symbolic? No one is going to look up at my window, see roses and think "Ah, how very symbolic, Elaine is trying to reach out and teach us all that animal abuse is wrong" No, should anyone look up at my window, which I doubt many people do anyway, they are going to think "Roses, nice" If anything at all.
Wouldnt a purple ribbon, bumper sticker or wrist band be a better way to raise awareness, as well as it taking in some cash for some well deserving charity?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
07-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #8

Elaine's got a point..we all have our own way of expressing our grief at the way that animals are treated and Elaine I think while Rescuecatsrule's intentions are honorouble and the respect and symbolism is there this perhaps shouldn't be taken literally if you don't want to. The thought is there and with great potential!

I for one will now consider skipping on the roses (sorry RCR) and instead use the money to put towards Animal Aid, one of my chosen charities who do something to educating and informing schoolchildren.

I think once this gets off the ground and this special day is etched in the nation's memory through media and other coverage and advertising THEN is the time to display the roses, but not without any of the proceeds from the purhcase of these roses going to the right charity.

Catsey Veteran

07-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #9

Very well put and I like the Animal Aid suggestion, I think if awareness is to be acheived, it has to be from grass roots, i.e. children are future pet owners.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #10

I agree, well put, and yes, more people need to raise their children with respect for and kindness to animals.