Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
04-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #41

Re: What do members think about dog food?

Morgan gets chicken wings and I just put them down in his bowl for him. He crunches them for quite a time before swallowing the bits so we don't need to hold them for him.

I've never been tempted to feed a raw diet, I don't have the freezer space for one thing and apart from that it looks as though it would involve some very careful calculating and balancing of meat-v-bone content, either that or buying in ready portioned and balanced stuff which could be rather expensive.

I'm happy for him to have wings every few days instead of his normal tea though and so far we've not had any anal gland problems with him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #42

Hi Helen, yes i tried holding the wings for Malaika but even the last little bit made her scream. I was told the bones were bendy like cartiledge but when i decided to stop giving them i tried just removing the meat and broke a bone, honestly it was as sharp as a needle.
I have to say she relished them and i'm sure they were good for her teeth but i just daren't. I've heard tales of pierced intestines.Raw mince and chunks is as much as i dare.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #43

I found that with turkey legs, you can get them cheaply in supermarkets, they splintered a lot - big shards that even the dogs would not eat I didn't repeat them....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
05-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #44

I wouldn't give my dogs turkey legs or chicken drumsticks, you do have to be careful what you give raw. I have been giving them chicken wings for about 10 years now and never had a problem, also turkey necks, lamb ribs, chicken carcasses are all fine to give.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
05-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim
I wouldn't give my dogs turkey legs or chicken drumsticks, you do have to be careful what you give raw. I have been giving them chicken wings for about 10 years now and never had a problem, also turkey necks, lamb ribs, chicken carcasses are all fine to give.
I agree Kim, I wouldn't give drumsticks either. I was told to avoid weight-bearing bones as they're too strong.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #46

A question about feeding raw - does it matter if the chicken wings have been frozen? Would that alter the way the bones break, perhaps splinter?

(I guess that all such would be frozen anyway.)

Catsey Veteran

05-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
A question about feeding raw - does it matter if the chicken wings have been frozen? Would that alter the way the bones break, perhaps splinter?

(I guess that all such would be frozen anyway.)
They should be frozen first & defrosted. Freezing kills any bacteria etc

Catsey Veteran

05-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #48

Hmm, never had problems with chicken legs, first i ever gave our three was a raw drumstick/thigh each then spent a week worrying myself sick incase of obstructions Think it depends on the dog & what theyre capable of. Lots people feed legs with no problems

I agree with the concept of raw feeding, it just didnt agree with ours

What way do you feed raw eggs? I love to give ours an egg each ( in garden). Lots of shoving it around like a ball, then Katie throws hers to break it & Harvey just crunches

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
05-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #49

Raw whole eggs sound fun for the Dogs Helen, will have to give it a try.
Just back from Tesco, the dogs are getting raw mince Lamb, butchers trays, Pilchards and sausage for training.
The bit i'm not to happy about is the pedegree mixers, i know i should be looking for a better one (any reccomendations please ) I feel that when they are having meat or fish then it's too much protein to give complete kibble as well.
Anyone elses dogs like beetroot, our love it

Catsey Veteran

05-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #50

If you can get it, the best mixer of all is Laughing Dog