Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Under active thyroid?

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Anyone any experience of an under active thyroid? Appear I may have one back in 3 months for another test. Any info gratefully received. I went for test for something else and came back with an "indicator" for retest in 3 months. It would apparently explain my tiredness and weight gain (not massive but enough).

[/font]

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #2

Re: Under active thyroid?

Sorry I can't help Kazz. I have suspected that I have an under active thyroid in the past and I think I have twice had the test, but am within normal range.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #3

Sorry Kazz,
i have no experience of this either but i assume the treatment will be drugs. I think it's when your thyroid doesn't produce enough of a certain enzyme.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #4

I have a friend with an under-active thyroid. She was put on thyroxin pills and lost a lot of weight as they took effect. The good news is that thyroid problems are one of those "accepted" conditions which means free prescriptions!

Edited to say: Unless that's changed due to cut backs.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
24-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #5

I have an underactive thyroid, had it for 14 years now. I had lots of problems because I keep decreasing and decreasing and for the first couple of years had to have my thyroxine tablets increased nearly every 6 months. You need to be aware of the symptoms because you are only routinely checked yearly so if you feel 'ill' ypu shpuld go back to the doctor for a retest.
My hair is much thinner and I have never fully lost the weight I put on, but I feel much better.
Hypothyroidism can make you feel depressed, I bruised and blistered easily and my skin and hair became very dry. You joints can ache and your period can become heavy. You memory can be poor and it can be very hard to concentrate.
Luckily once on the meds and at a normal level you are pretty much back to yourself.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #6

The endocrinologists I worked for had a lot of patients with underactive thyroid; with medication they were fine. But as I recall (been retired 16 years now!) it took some fiddling with dosage to get it just right .