Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
12-06-2010, 03:21 AM   #1

Insomnia

Having some bad nights lately, getting trouble dropping off then only asleep for an hour or so tired but can't relax.
Will try my relaxation tape later but my head is buzzing with random thoughts. Ceri is out cold thank goodness but I'm hot then cold and now awake and aching all over.
Sorry to be a misery-guts.
Will spray some rescue remedy in a minute and see if that calms me down... hope to get some zzzzzzzzzz before too long!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #2

Re: Insomnia

Sorry to hear that PP - no wonder with all the turmoil you've had lately. Have you been to see your G.P. - could be a virus. Not sleeping makes everything seem so much worse - I've had a few nights like that.

Relaxation tape is a good idea. Have you tried simple remedies such as a warm bath just before bed or some Valerian tea? A bunch of lavender or a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow?

Catsey Veteran

12-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #3

Thanks for thinking of me Angie My GP is aware of the problem, not viral, probably menopausal related and my underactive thyroid still needs monitoring to get me on the right dosage of thyroxine. Losing Posh didn't help of course, I was so anxious then.

Regret getting rid of my bath some times. We have a small bathroom and because of Ceri's arthritis and fitting out the bathroom with new modern units, we did away with a bath in favour of a large corner shower. Wish I could have a soak now and then. Unfortunately lavender oil is not relaxing to me, although I love the smell, the oil I find is too heady.

I use rose oil to sooth my headaches and flush symptoms and the relaxation tape is very useful for the middle of the night. I guess as we age we need less sleep, and its nice having early mornings to myself although 3am is too early and I went back til 7am this morning.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #4

Sorry you're having problems sleeping; wish I had some helpful ideas but I rarely have insomnia, luckily. Years ago when we were having work problems I got a CD of ocean noises: waves lapping against the shore, that I found very relaxing to help me unwind and drop off.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #5

Sorry about the bath and the lavender PP! What about the Valerian tea, or a herbal tea with Valerian in? There used to be a very nice one called Good Night, not sure if it's still made.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
12-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #6

I hate nights like that, get them now and again.

Shame about the bath - my mum did the same and regrets in every now and again.

Can't offer any other advice other than the obvious don't drink coffee before bed etc.

Maybe tonight will be better.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #7

I was going to say; sounds menopausal I've had that too over the past few weeks (although I'm a few years off the menopause yet); OH gets up and works/plays on PC when he can't sleep, I just like there getting mild panic attacks.

Have you tried breathing techniques? I'm not an expert on them, but someone once showed me how to do controlled breathing and it really does slow your brain/body down and helps you drift off. As well as wave music, I find whale song extremely relaxing and therapeutic.

Whatever method you decide on, I hope you get some relief as there's really nothing worse than going through life tired. Hugs.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 DSH and a Siamese
13-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #8

Just went through a bout of this myself. Started taking Melatonin before bed and it really helped. I also increased my exercise during the day and made sure I went to bed/got up at the same time every day. I seem to be sleeping better now, I think the Melatonin really helped.

I hope you get some sleep soon it is SOOO miserable to be tired all the time.

Catsey Veteran

13-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #9

I had a much better night last night ladies I found some herbal tablets which I can take that won't interact with all my other meds, and the breathing techniques help.

Also, I didn't watch the football and that must have helped too enjoyed Sense and Sensibility instead, much more sedate

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #10

Do you think you unkowingly don't sleep well because you are worries what with Ceri being not too well..............maybe unconsiously you don't sleep well because you are on constant alert.

The relaxation technique Yola mentioned....sounds good. I hope you manage to resolve it, but why not try having a nap in the afternoon so you are at least getting sleep.