Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
16-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #1

Vitamins anyone take them?

Does anyone take a daily vitamin tablet/supplement and if so why and does it do any good?
I as you know had a full hysterectomy 3&1/2 weeks ago and due to having had breast cancer cannot take HRT but not any symptoms yet odd hot flush at night. Nothing else but started to take last week a sanatogen A-Z multi vitamin and wondered if anyone noticed any benefit......

Consultant told me I would have to take calcium to increase bone strength.....but don't see him till 6 week checkup....when we will talk but never taking vitamins before I wondered +'s and -'s please.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #2

Re: Vitamins anyone take them?

Oh you have asked the right person, Kazz! I'm a great believer in them and if I do say so myself in excellent health.

Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Calcium
Glucosamine chrondritin (arthritis)
Hyluronic acid (arthritis)
Omega 3 fish oil
Psyillium (fiber)
Probiotics
Aspirin (prevent stroke, heart attack)

All I can say is I feel good, and the arthritis is under control, very rarely have a flareup. They do say to consult your doctor before taking things, though.

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #3

Wow...do you take those individualy Eileen or as a multi vitamin for the majority?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
16-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #4

Hi Kazz, I have started to take a general multi vitamin - definitely feel a lot better for it. (Just a Tesco or Sainsburys multi vitamin)

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #5

Individually, Kazz. I also take a nutritional drink (Ensure, chocolate flavored and delicious) which has the MDR of the other elements, iron, thiamin, folate, magnesium, zinc, etc. in lieu of the multivitamin.

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Individually, Kazz. I also take a nutritional drink (Ensure, chocolate flavored and delicious) which has the MDR of the other elements, iron, thiamin, folate, magnesium, zinc, etc. in lieu of the multivitamin.
Blinking heck good job you are retired......you couldn't do that and work

But I am coming round to thinking not a bad idea hile I am a little immune recovery sort of stage.....

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Hi Kazz, I have started to take a general multi vitamin - definitely feel a lot better for it. (Just a Tesco or Sainsburys multi vitamin)
Yeah sanatogen were on specal offer buy one get one free so I did.

Glad you feel better for it Emma I suspect its a good idea with the stress and energy of the wedding to plan etc. and I figure it takes at least a month or so to kick in. I am going to continue can't do any harm. May look at something for healing the scar too...individually not sure what that would be though?

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Blinking heck good job you are retired......you couldn't do that and work

But I am coming round to thinking not a bad idea hile I am a little immune recovery sort of stage.....
But I did, except for the arthritis supplements, as I wasn't diagnosed with that until '97. Nor the Ensure, hadn't heard of it back then.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #9

Hi Kazz - I take Glucosamine and I reckon it's great. I type for a living and noticed my knuckles were swelling and getting a bit sore. That's gone now. I also use Glucosamine gel if I get any joint-related flare - like yesterday when I'd been working on the computer all afternoon and got "tooth ache" in my right shoulder. Better today.

I also take calcium. You need to take it with Vitamin D. If you want, I'll send you a link to where I get mine. I take steroids for my COPD and that can have an effect on bones losing calcium. Also, I don't drink much milk. That's not really something you can feel the effect of though. I was also told that drinking carbonated drinks in excess can leach calcium from the bones. I do have some tonic water with my gin, but I don't drink gallons of the stuff.

As for scar healing try Bio-Oil. It's meant to be amazing stuff. I've not used it for that myself, but do use it for age spots!

Catsey Veteran

16-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #10

Age spots? That caught my attention, Angie, as I have the blasted things....does it work?