Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: selkirk rex, ragdoll
22-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #11

Re: Kittens being sold in pet shops

thats terrible they should be reported

Cats owned: Norwegian Forest Cat
Andrewd is Male
26-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #12

Doesn't sound good to me

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: DSH
Stephan is Male
26-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #13

The sad thing is that we here are the `converted`?-it`s those who still think it`s OK to buy from shops/traders we need to reach.

Oh OK our first cat was from a friend of a friend who had some kittens to give away-but we had to learn and Parsley (aka `snake`-what sort of name is that??) managed to grow old.

Cats(moggies) just turn up or come from legitimate rescue places-never `buy` one.

A donation to the rescue place is good though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #14

I got my first cat as an adult from a backyard breeder who advertised in the paper; didn't know any better back then. He was a wonderful cat but very nervous and high strung; he was, I found out later, quite inbred. And my next from a pet shop: lucked out there as he was the picture of health, self assured and fearless.

When the day comes, my next cat will be a rescue cat.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Felix
26-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #15

aww... poor kittens

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
28-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcspik
The Cats Protection would not have any legal powers to do so. All they can do is talk to the owner in order to sign them over (provided they have room) so at least they can have a better start in life. But more than likely the petshop owner is seeing ££ rather than the welfare of the animals concerned. So if the pet shop owner tells the Cats Protection to get lost then there is nothing they can do.

Tbh it is a job for the RSPCA (and RSPCA are the only people who would have the legal power to snatch them away) but whether they could be bothered is another thing together.

The only other option is to contact the council concerned, specifically their Public Health department, as all Pet Shops (and the same goes for catteries, dog boarding kennels and riding schools) have to have a licence which is renewed annually. If they find serious breaches in how the shop is run, then the licence will be revoked. That means they will be effectively be shut down and the kittens (or indeed any other animals living there) cannot be sold.
In addition to this, another thing I have thought of, is to try and find out who the Market Inspector is (all markets have them, and they also have powers to deny someone a pitch). Their role is to be responsible for the market in general, from collecting pitch fees to making sure that the traders are fine, to health and safety. Calmly explain your concerns, and explain that you wish to stop the stall holder in question from selling animals which are far too young. Keep an eye on the situation - if you get fobbed off by the market inspector or after a while (a good few weeks) then it seems to have little effect, then follow the above.

BTW, if someone wants to just sell pet food/accessories then they dont need a licence, if however they do want to sell animals then they do (and be subject to various conditions).

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby female
James is Male
28-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #17

Your first call should probably be the local council environmental health Licensing Committee. Find out if they have an Environmental Protection Officer (animals). If so report what you have witnessed and ask for a check on the seller's licence. I would also contact the RSPCA even if they are not your favourite animal charity as they do have greater powers than other rescue organisations and work with the police. Some breeders do not sell kittens under 13 weeks or in some cases 11 weeks. The ads newspaper 'Loot' refuses ads that advertise kittens and puppies under the age of 8 weeks.

Quite frankly, the laws governing the sale and keeping of animals in the UK is a mess despite an upsurge of concern in animal welfare. For instance, in my opinion, there needs to be a reappraisal in what is meant by 'exotic aimals'. No private individual should be allowed to keep animals such as primates and some species of reptiles. If they want to have contact with such creatures they should apply for a job in a zoo.

The rules re. so-called 'domestic pets' needs to be tightened up too. Only strictly controlled and regularly inspected commercial outlets (such as Harrods which has a special licence) should be able to sell this category. All breeders must be more stringently regulated since the good breeders have nothing to fear. Ordinary 'pet shops' should confine themselves to food, equipment, books etc. unless they have a special licence to sell small live breeds such as mice, gerbils, hamsters etc.

The thought of tiny, feline (or canine) infants being hawked for profit from a market stall makes my blood boil. My mother once had a pet shop closed down because they kept a group of budgerigars in the shop window in direct sunlight in hot weather. Her son (me) would do exactly the same.

The reference to this forum members being 'the converted' is true. This is why I would not trust the general public to judge whether an animal was too young to be separated from its mother or whether a small cage in the corner of the living room was a suitable 'home' for a monkey

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
28-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Your first call should probably be the local council environmental health Licensing Committee. Find out if they have an Environmental Protection Officer (animals). If so report what you have witnessed and ask for a check on the seller's licence. I would also contact the RSPCA even if they are not your favourite animal charity as they do have greater powers than other rescue organisations and work with the police. Some breeders do not sell kittens under 13 weeks or in some cases 11 weeks. The ads newspaper 'Loot' refuses ads that advertise kittens and puppies under the age of 8 weeks.

Quite frankly, the laws governing the sale and keeping of animals in the UK is a mess despite an upsurge of concern in animal welfare. For instance, in my opinion, there needs to be a reappraisal in what is meant by 'exotic aimals'. No private individual should be allowed to keep animals such as primates and some species of reptiles. If they want to have contact with such creatures they should apply for a job in a zoo.

The rules re. so-called 'domestic pets' needs to be tightened up too. Only strictly controlled and regularly inspected commercial outlets (such as Harrods which has a special licence) should be able to sell this category. All breeders must be more stringently regulated since the good breeders have nothing to fear. Ordinary 'pet shops' should confine themselves to food, equipment, books etc. unless they have a special licence to sell small live breeds such as mice, gerbils, hamsters etc.

The thought of tiny, feline (or canine) infants being hawked for profit from a market stall makes my blood boil. My mother once had a pet shop closed down because they kept a group of budgerigars in the shop window in direct sunlight in hot weather. Her son (me) would do exactly the same.

The reference to this forum members being 'the converted' is true. This is why I would not trust the general public to judge whether an animal was too young to be separated from its mother or whether a small cage in the corner of the living room was a suitable 'home' for a monkey
Good solid advice there - and I do so agree with the pet shop argument.

Might be tempted to take you up on the Harrods statement. Last time I was there I have to say £1200 for a chihuahua puppy and £900 for a siamese kitten just doesn't feel right, given these are the latest 'fad' pets for people to carry around! What happens to them when they get older or are unwell? I'll leave it there as I can feel myself beginning to wind up to a rant.

The important thing in this post is good helpful advice to enable folks to know how to stop market traders and their ilk selling animals that just shouldn't be away from Mum.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby female
James is Male
01-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Good solid advice there - and I do so agree with the pet shop argument.

Might be tempted to take you up on the Harrods statement. Last time I was there I have to say £1200 for a chihuahua puppy and £900 for a siamese kitten just doesn't feel right, given these are the latest 'fad' pets for people to carry around! What happens to them when they get older or are unwell? I'll leave it there as I can feel myself beginning to wind up to a rant.

The important thing in this post is good helpful advice to enable folks to know how to stop market traders and their ilk selling animals that just shouldn't be away from Mum.
I agree entirely with what you say re. Harrods. I actually don't want any shops selling live creatures. However the point I was trying to make is that currently, the best example of openess in dealing with 'pets' is an extablishment with a high profile and because of this the inspections done are rigorous since everything is open to public scrutiny. The problem is that who does the follow up? One day perhaps we will view 'pet' shops in the same way that we now view bear baiting. As for 'Fad pets' we need a slogan similar to "a dog/cat is not just for Christmas" - perhaps i could suggest "a small dog is not a handbag accessory"

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: DSH
Stephan is Male
01-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #20

This thread has made me think(rare I know) but in times when Enid Blyton has been called sexist and racist I cannot remember any fury about this song(ok it`s a dog but you get my point)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AkLE4X-bbU

And look for the caged bird