Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
11-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #21

Re: What does the future hold for Orey?

All dogs were bred to do something, from just being a pet or lapdog, to hunting down wild animals.

Although a lot of them still retain strong instincts on their origional purpose, a lot of dogs never do the 'job' the breed was created for and are perfectly happy being 'just pets'. Some breeds however are not very happy being 'just pets' as they have such high instincts and energy levels in there genes.

It also depends what lines they come from, this means what their parents/grandparents/great grandparents and so on did in their lifetime.

A typical debatable breed is the border collie. Working collies that come from working parents/grandparents e.t.c are not usually happy being just pets and they really want to work and are too highly strung in a pet only environment.

On the other hand a lot of border collies from different lines live perfectly happy lives in a pet only home as many of their ancestors have never seen a sheep in generations.

Hope that's not too confusing!

Basically some breeds will make better pets than others, some need an owner who is 100% sure of the breed and what they are doing, and will then go on to make nice pets. But there are quite a few breeds for first time owners that make absolutely wonderful pets.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
11-11-2007, 12:41 AM   #22

Oops forgot to add I agree on the Cavs, wonderful wee dogs!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
11-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Yes I would say thats about right, although a few dogs were bred to be nothing more, nothing less than pets.
The Shihtzu, bichon frise to name a couple. but have to say a CKCS is just about the best option for a new starter but always from a good breeder as they are prone to heart and eye troubles.

Are you considering having a dog then?
No!!! Just curious really. Am more a cat person and I couldnt give a dog time. I work six days a week so it would be unfair to keep a dog at home all that time. Its just an interesting topic