Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
25-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #1

Hamster help.

Ok, so as you know we finally gave in to Ashleigh wanting a hamster & we have had her for, erm... maybe 2 weeks(?) anyway, she cleans her cage out twice a week, she feeds her & changes her water every day & gets her out every day. BUT she has nipped Ashleigh about 3 or 4 times, twice she has drawn blood. Ashleigh was getting a bit wary of her, so tonight I said I would get her out for her & she bit hard onto my finger & I nearly bled to death! (well ok then, not quite that bad, but it did bleed lots) the point being that Ashleigh saw it happen & is now scared to get her out. Hamster seemed really on edge & jumpy this evening, not sure why? John wondered if one of the cats had been by the cage stressing her out, but I doubt it as the bedroom door is always closed. Ashleigh has been crying tonight saying that she just wants a nice hamster like Holly (cousins hamster) - any ideas, now I know you are going to say she needs more handling, but it's kind of hard when she is now quite scared of her! I didn't make a fuss & tried to hide the fact that she'd nipped me, but Ashleigh saw the blood running down my finger. Why is she biting? .Elaine?? Jane ??.anyone??

We don't get her out when she is sleepy or just woke up, but Ashleigh made a good point when I said she doesn't handle her enough by reminding me that she's always asleep....which she is. She's still a baby & she sleeps loads, so it is hard finding a time to play with her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #2

Re: Hamster help.

Well sadly hamsters are nocturnal creatures and so they do sleep most of the day, waking every few hours for a little nibble. When you or your daughter try to pick the hammy up, how exactly do you do it? Is it possible that maybe your daughter has hurt her, not deliberately ofcourse, but they do need gentle handling.
I am nervous of the nippers too, it hurts when they bite.
We always advise people who buy hamsters for children to have the child sitting on the floor with the cage infront of them, that way should the hamster jump, it doesnt have too far to fall. Rub some bedding on your hands for scent transfer and gently cup your hands around the hamster, allowing it to walk onto your hands, then with the other hand, gently cover the hamster and take it out of the cage.
As your daughter has gotten a fright, it may be an idea over the next few days to get her to scent transfer and just allow the hammy to smell her hand.
Oh another thing is if your daughter has just eaten crisps or something, make sure she washes her hands before handling the hammy as it will smell the food on her go for a bite.
Hope that helps a little, if not I am sure Jane will have some tips.

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #3

That advice sounds good Elaine. I do however feel that we are on a slipperly downhill slope & that Ashleigh is now getting quite scared of her. She is quite hard to get a grip of, because of the layout of the cage. I tried to let her sniff my fingers tonight, but I must admit, I kept thinking she was going to bite me again. & after a nip, it puts you off. I could do with someone who knows a bit about hamsters handling her a little to build up Ashleighs confidence again with her.

Would you be able to pop round one evening Elaine? please?

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #4

If I lived closer, sure I would
I know what you mean though, they give a nasty nip.
What kind of cage does she have?
I have Indy in a glass tank, as you all know she is a man eater and i cannt handle her, although I have managed to stroke her on occasion.
There's a thought, why not offer the hammy a nice treat with one hand and try to gently stroke her with the other, might help to get your daughters confidence up a bit.
I am thinking though that the problems may have arose around the kind of cage you have her in, if its not easy to get hold of her, if it is one of those rotastack types, I dont reckomend them at all, then it would be hard to get hold of her and perhaps as your daughter has been trying, she has inadvertantly hurt or caused the hammy some discomfort.
I prefer a large cage or tank with a few different levels and add my own tunnels etc. Makes life much easier for all.

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #5

I have also used gloves for handling some of the nippers, not Indy as she would go right through them. Grooming gloves or gardening gloves.

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #6

it's kind of a small rotastack "ish" one, but it has a helter skelter & a few tubes & not much in the way of clear floor space. The only way we can get her is when she's on that. So she's either heading up the slide or down it. She is a sweet little thing & is ok once she's out. But you know what it's like with these situations, a small problem, very quickly becomes a massive one & if she isn't handled loads now - she wont be able to handle her at all.
We do give her treats from our hand which she will take.

She takes everything into her wheel, it's an enclosed one, like a tube type of wheel & she has her bedding in there & all her food & all her treats & she spends all her time in the wheel, either playing or snoozing! Thanks for the advice. I would suggest maybe I could bring her to the supreme for some inputs on handling techniques, but maybe a hamster at a cat show is not a good move.

Catsey Veteran

25-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #7

http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/pe...rlyha_tqxr.htm

I dont know if this link will help, it may explain what I mean about handling better than i have.
Does she have a hamster ball? If so does it fit into the cage, so the hammy can climb into it by itself? Thats how I get Indy out of her tank. They are naturally curious and will go into almost anything.
Oh now that I have said that, the screaming hammy at work, rather than risk being bitten and stress the hammy out further, I put a toilet roll tube into the cage, let the hammy walk into it then I just cupped either end and lifted it out, that may be easier.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
26-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #8

My kids hamsters always bit until they got used to our scent. I would just say persevere although they are quite scary once you have been caught once!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
26-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #9

Unfortunately, this is the problem a majority of hamsters from pet shops..A lot of pet shops never handle the hamsters and a lot also come from breeding farm type places so they have never been handled. She is biting because she's scared - she doesn't know that you want to stroke her, love her and fuss over her, all she knows is that a big giant hand is coming into her cage.

Feed her food through the bars at first until she is confident to take it then trying feeding food inside the cage. This might sound strange but is always recommended on hamster forums, you (or Ashleigh) can "wear" some white unscented toilet roll for a few hours (like up your sleeve or something) meaning your scent will be on it - you can then give this to the hammy and they will have your scent in the cage. Don't worry if the hamster starts ripping the tissue up, they're doing that because it's tissue, not because it smells like you

You can (or Ashleigh if she's confident enough) can sit in a dry bath tub, playpen, or maybe a hall with doors if you have one? and just let the hamster run around. Don't try to touch it - just let them run over you so it can get used to your scent. It is really unlikely they will bite like that. You can try stroking her then if you are both confident with this. Let her sniff you before you start stroking her, or atleast let her see your hand otherwise she will be scared and will probably flinch, turn round and bite you, but if she sees/smells you first it probably wont happen. Oh and always wash your hands before handling her, just incase you smell like food because then she will want to eat you lol. Even the tamest hammies will nip/bite when you smell yummy like food.

Not sure whether I helped..hope I did?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
26-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #10

Ised to have hamster and they all bit as well. I can't offer any better help but hope you can sort it out. The gloves sound a good idea as bites hurt alot. I remember once i wa biten and the hamster wouldn't let go for ages. anyway I survived and hope yo do as well. (I was between 8-14 when I owned hamsters)
Sally