Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: Ginger tom cat/Bengal kitten/Per
21-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #1

Sore neck

Hi everyone iam a newbie on here also on saturday morring i woke up to find that i count move my neck to left as i get very very bad shooting pain.I was told it would clear by sunday.Its now sunday and iam in even more pain.I can turn it to left a lil bit.If i lie down im just so much in pain.
I can feel a lump but my dad said he cant see anything im sure there is.Does anyone have any ideas what could of caused this,i never have any health probbelms i shall be going doctours tomoz

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
21-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #2

Re: Sore neck

Welcome to Catsey Tiger.

Have you done anything different? Lifted something heavy, been the gym sat in the car with the window open? It sounds like you have pulled a muscle. You don't say where the lump is, if it is on the back of your neck along your spine it could be a bulging disc which would cause quite a lot of pain. If elsewhere I wouldn't have a clue. Put some heat on it, say a hot water bottle, take some ibrufen and make rub some muscle rub into it and see if the pain eases a little

Banned

21-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes
Welcome to Catsey Tiger.

Have you done anything different? Lifted something heavy, been the gym sat in the car with the window open? It sounds like you have pulled a muscle. You don't say where the lump is, if it is on the back of your neck along your spine it could be a bulging disc which would cause quite a lot of pain. If elsewhere I wouldn't have a clue. Put some heat on it, say a hot water bottle, take some ibrufen and make rub some muscle rub into it and see if the pain eases a little
thanks well iam more in pain today then yesterday its now effecting my left side of my sholder and arm i have just been trying to brush my hair and i was so painfull i had to get my mum to do it.No to the above questions.I can feel a lump on the left side of neck at the top.If the pain carrys on anymore badley i think i will have to go to a&e but would they see it a emergency???

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #4

Hi Tiger, it sounds like you either slept awkward or twisted your neck. Applying heat to it or rubbing in something like Deep Heat may ease it. If it doesn't ease in a couple of days maybe make an appointment with your doc.

I'm sure our members would like to welcome you properly to Catsey so maybe you would like to post in the "Your Introductions" thread and tell us a bit about you and Tiger .. Just start a new thread and members are more likely to see you there..

http://www.catsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Banned

21-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #5

Well my neck is like starting to frezze on me and i dont have to move any part of my body and my neck/shoulder just starts,i have noticed my head is turned to one side and i cant move it as much as i try,This pain is getting to bad its making me cry

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #6

Have you tried taking a couple of paracetemol Amanda?

Banned

21-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
Have you tried taking a couple of paracetemol Amanda?
yes i have taken 2 before and they havent helped i have had a bath and added some herbel that my mum uses and nothing is working its just making the pain more worse,and my mum is getting annoyed that iam complaioning

im just having a anit flammable something my dad has just given me suppose to be very stong and he said if your still in pain we will have to do something eles what does a bulging disc which would cause quite a lot of pain???WHAT DOES THAT MEAN

Thanks to everyone nice to see ppl are concered
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...7-2007/hey.jpg

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
21-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #8

Sounds like you've had a muscle spasm in your neck/shoulder. Excrutiatingly painful but it will relax over the next few days - use heat on it and use Ibuprofen or another anti-inflammatory. As long as what you use doesn't contain paracetamol, you can use that as well for pain relief.

The lump is likely where the muscle is now bunched up and you can try using very gentle massage on it to try and ease it. Apply the heat to that spot too.

Another thing it could be is something called a Wry Neck. I woke up one morning in a lot of pain and unable to move my neck. My GP just said treat the same as with a muscle spasm.

If it's not getting any better by tomorrow, go and see your GP and they will be able to provide stronger relief for you if you need it.

Hope you feel more comfortable soon!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
21-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #9

It is suprising how much it affects other movements isn't it.
The bulging disc thing means that there are discs in between each vertebrae (bones in the spine) they stop the bones rubbing together, however they slip out of place occasionaly,very rare when young though.
I think Grete is right in suggesting a muscle spasm. This can cause a muscle to contract tightly and unless massaged loose it will remain like that for some time. You will be able to do this better when having taken ibrufen for at least a day. Ibrufen is an anti inflamatory not a pain killer so it takes the inflamation out of the site of pain.
The heat you apply allows the muscle to relax further, don't put ice on it as it will constrict further.
Seeing the GP tomorrow is the best bet rather tha a&e they will prob suggest the above after making you wait for hours.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #10

It does sound like a muscle spasm from what you've described; they can be very very painful! Try the remedies suggested and see if it improves....hope it has since you last posted. Please let us know..