Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #1

Kidney stones - anyone?

Anyone ever had kidney stones?

I woke in the early hours with terrible pain. Could not settle get comfortable however I stood, sat, lay curled, walked. I was ill too whic relived the pain slightly.
I went to work but had booked a Doctor's appointment for 5.30 off I went but the pain had eased off. And the Doctor thinks Kidney stones I have to take a water sample in tomorrow morning. They will send it off and if it comes back clear of infection then she will book me an appointment for an XRay to establish Kidney stones.

Not sure what happens then,

Oh I have antibiotics just in case its a simple kidney infection. But she seemed certain it was kidney stones.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
20-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #2

Re: Kidney stones - anyone?

oh poor you Karen ((hugs))!
I've not had anythign like that, but OH had gallstones a couple of years ago, and was he in pain!!!!! I phoned an ambulance the first time he had an attack, he was rolling all over the floor screaming in agony. I thought his appendix had burst! He had them removed by keyhole surgery 10 months later, back on his feet within a week! Hope you get yours sorted xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
20-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #3

Ouch. So sorry Karen. My father had that a few years ago and he was in agony. I cannt remember what happened to resolve it but he's fine now.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-09-2007, 09:20 PM   #4

My sons had kidney stones this week and ended up in Casualty Monday night. He has had terrible back ache for about a week and on Monday he couldn't stand it any longer so I took him to our walk in center who sent him straight to the hospital. His urine sample came back with traces of blood in so they dosed him up with pain killers and booked him in for a scan the next morning.

He had a terrible night he was in so much pain and at the scan the next day they couldn't find anything but reckoned it was kidney stones and he had passed them himself.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #5

Like Alex's OH, my hubby had gall stones years ago and it has been said the pain from them is on the same level as childbirth..

I don't know anything about kidney stones though Kazz except that I think they try to disperse them nowadays rather than operate.

I'm hoping it is just a kidney infection you have and the ABs will clear it....

Here's a link about the stones (doesn't necessarily mean you have them mind).....I hope it will explain things to you..

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/h...ey_stones.html

Catsey Veteran

20-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #6

Thanks all. Can feel the build up again so off now.

Catsey Veteran

20-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #7

Anne hope your son feels better now they do appear to be terrible things. Now you mention it I have had an ache in the lower back/side since Tuesday, so may be building up.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #8

Karen, so sorry to hear this!!! A friend had gallstones and said the pain was agonizing, have heard it's about the same with kidney stones. I'm praying it's just an infection and that the ABs will fix it.....
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they can now dissolve them with some sort of ultrasound rather than invasive surgery......off to look it up .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
20-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #9

Sorry to read you are in so much pain, they really are excrutiating. They will be able to tell you a lot more when you have the scan - it depends very much on the size, number, location and density as to what they will do. They can pass naturally (painful but medication helps), they can be broken up much smaller using shock waves (Lithotripsy) and then be passed naturally or if neither of those are options then it would mean surgery but it's done keyhole these days with much shorter recovery time.

It's not a nice thing at all to have to go through so *hugs* and hope it all gets resolved quickly and you feel better in no time.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
21-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #10

Yes, I think it's some kind of sonic or laser therapy that dissolves the stones. I think passing them is still quite painful once dissolved, but then they're gone!

My Dad had kidney stones back in the late 60s . . . he was operated on, it got infected, he had to have a kidney removed and was never the same since BUT that was a long time ago and I think invasive surgery is almost a thing of the past now, thankfully.