Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
04-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #1

Stop smoking on the NHS? what a joke

Moli as you know has stopped smoking with the aid of new tablets from her GP.
When I went to my Doc last week I asked for them. He told me that the Lothian Health Board hasn't passed them yet as there budget is low.
If I lived in another town say Fife I would be able to get them. He called it the NHS post code lottery. Just like the tablets I used to get that worked and I had to come off them.
The upshot is I decided to buy them on line. Now it's a 12 week course. For the two week starter pack it's costing me £99. The full course is going to cost £100's but I figure I'll save money in the long run and of course my health will improve. In the mean time I'll put away the money I spend on Ciggys so that should help towards the cost.
Dont you think it's wrong? I really want something that's going to help me kick the habbit but because of my post code I'm having to pay full whack or go without and continue to smoke.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
04-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #2

Re: Stop smoking on the NHS? what a joke

Thats awful,what the hell do we pay our NI for grrrrr it makes me so mad!!!!!!!
Good luck though Jac's you can do it

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #3

Well I'm more determined than ever. Lets face it it's alot of money. they should arrive on Monday. Will let you know how it goes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
04-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #4

Sadly there are lots of things that are not available everywhere on the NHS in the UK, so much depends on where you live. Drugs for certain conditions such as some forms of dementia and, recently announced, some of the new treatments for rheumatoid arthritis to name just two.

Some drugs/treatments have been authorised by the Welsh assembly for use in Wales but English counties bordering on Wales seemingly have to follow NICE assessments and don't/can't supply those same drugs. How fair is that!

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #5

I know. I was on a painkilling drug that worked for me. My doctor got into trouble for giving it to me as it was too expensive. I was asked by him to write to the local authority to see if I could stay on it. They said no. Instead of taking one tablet twice daily. I now that 6 cheaper one's that don't work nearly as well and oral morphine!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
04-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #6

I think it is very wrong Jac. You should be helped and encouraged if you want to give up, not have to buy these tablets on line because you live in the 'wrong' area. Good luck to you though - I'm sure you can do it and you will soon feel healthier and think of all the money you will save long-term!!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
04-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #7

That's not fair Jac It's silly really, it shouldn't matter where people live!! Kim is right though, although it's a lot of money remember it will save you more in the long term Also, by paying for it it will make you even more determined to stop. I'm not saying you wouldn't be as determined if it was free on the NHS, but you wanna get your moneys worth eh

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #8

Well I'm a happy bunny. Just found another site that sell's the same product and alot cheeper. Iv'e now got six weeks supply. The two week starter pack and another four week supply for £145. Bearing in mind I was paying £99.99 for the two week starter pack!
Yes I will do it. I will live longer with my kids, be healthier, and not smell like a wet ashtray

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
04-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
Well I'm a happy bunny. Just found another site that sell's the same product and alot cheeper. Iv'e now got six weeks supply. The two week starter pack and another four week supply for £145. Bearing in mind I was paying £99.99 for the two week starter pack!
Yes I will do it. I will live longer with my kids, be healthier, and not smell like a wet ashtray
Thats good Jacs,good luck,Im sure you will do it easy

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
Thats good Jacs,good luck,Im sure you will do it easy
Yeh I will Erin. I know if I'm having a tough time you guys will kick my a**e and nudge me on