Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
16-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #1

Cat allergy

My son stayed overnight on Saturday.
This is my adult son, who had occasional mild bouts of asthma as a child (usually associated with a cold), and who grew up with at least two and more often 3 cats in the house. So 18 years of full-on cat, 3 years of Uni holidays in the family home with the cats, then 1 more year in the family home before he got his own place. So, he's prob not lived in a proper home (i.e. one with a cat! ) for about 7 or 8 years.
He had the most terrible sneezy, wheezy evening and night! I made him take an anti-histamine, which dampened the sneezy bit, but he still had a tight chest, right up to the afternoon of Sunday, 6 hours after we left my house.
So, looks like, as well as taking the Dyson round the place and damp dusting, I will have to get some anti-allergen 'cat-wipes' before he comes next time.
Anyone had any experience of using them and if so, what type would you recommend?
PS - do you think he would build up immunity again if he ever had to live with a cat? I suggested he should get a tiny tiny kitten and get progressively more immune as it grew, but he didn't think that was the greatest suggestion

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
16-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #2

Re: Cat allergy

I have no experience of the wipes DM. I can speak from experience and say that as a child I was extremely allergic to cats but when I left home and got my own at the age of 21 I was fine with them Not sure if this would be the case for everyone with an allergy tho??

Catsey Veteran

16-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #3

It's odd isn't it? he used to be fine and is now (apparently) hopeless.
He stayed a couple of weeks ago. His visits are usually less frequent than that ( ). I'm wondering if that was a really bad time period - the first visit set his allergic reaction onto 'alert' and then when he met the allergens again with only 15 days, his body went into overdrive. - A shorter period and nothing dramatic would have happened, his body would have adjusted slowly and comfortably; a longer one and everything would have calmed down?
Whatever - I'm going to have to be more diligent with the Dyson - it's supposed to have HEPA (whatever that is) filter etc.

Catsey Veteran

16-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #4

I don't think it really matters what type of hoover you have, you can just never get rid of the allergen especially in cats as it's in the saliva.

I have a friend who is terribly allergic to dogs and no matter how thoroughly well I clean prior to him coming, I have a hepa filter hoover too and despite taking anti-histamines he's always a wreck by the time he leaves here We make an effort to go to their house more than they come here because it's so very uncomfortable for him and spoils the evening

Not the ideal when it's your son though Has he tried different anti-histamines as they have different drugs in the different brands. What about a doctor prescription one as I would imagine the doc will be able to prescribe stronger than you can buy over the counter??

Catsey Veteran

16-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #5

We'll have to see what happens next time - eek! - and take it from there

Catsey Veteran

19-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #6

This looks interesting.
http://www.myairzone.com/acatalog/shop.html
If I get one (likely) I'll report back

Catsey Veteran

19-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #7

Looks interesting! Let us know how you get on if you decide to buy....

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
19-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #8

I'm really allergic to animals and have built a good resistance to my own pets - apart from this time of year when they bring in the grass pollen on their coats! But if I go into some-one elses house with cats and dogs I come out in big red blotches and wheezing and sneezing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
19-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
This looks interesting.
http://www.myairzone.com/acatalog/shop.html
If I get one (likely) I'll report back

I have an air purifier - I dont think they make any difference to be honest, but would be interested in your views if you get one.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Turkish Van, Russian Blue, & Mixed
27-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #10

I actually am allergic to cats, however, I have three, and have had many more in my time. (I just can't live without my kitties!) I pretty much live of allergy medications, however, they really do help a lot with it. I take Reactin, this has a good effect on my cat allergy.