Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #1

Rosehip for arthritis?

Read an article about this yesterday and have found these references

"Rosehip can help lessen the joint pain of knee, hip, and hand osteoarthritis, say scientists.

A study by Danish scientists found that a supplement made from rosehips reduced pain in 82 percent of patients after three weeks of treatment with GOPO – the active compound extracted from Rose canina, a type of rosehip.

The study, a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial, published in the Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, also found that those taking GOPO reduced their use of painkillers like paracetamol, ibuprofen and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

“I was very interested to see the results of this research, which show rosehip extract to have a very quick effect in reducing osteoarthritic pain in the hip, knee and hand. This study suggests that rosehip extract offers potential relief from pain for osteoarthritis sufferers, without the side effects that are often found with conventional anti-inflammatory drugs or pain killers”, says Dr Rod Hughes, Consultant Rheumatologist at St Peter's Hospital in Surrey.

Unfortunately due to the drying process that is needed to isolate the active anti-inflammatory compound from the sub-species of rose hip, GOPO is not available in a normal diet and can only be taken in the form of a food supplement. For stockists of LitoZin Joint Health®, please see www.litozin.co.uk "

Here's the link to litozin http://www.litozin.co.uk/litozin/jointhealthhome.cfm
They are quoting £16 some for a pot but I don't know how many that buys or what the dosage is. However, there are a few members who might want to look further into this product. Hope it might help.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #2

Re: Rosehip for arthritis?

That looks very interesting DM, I'll look into that for OH ........ thanks for the link

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #3

Hmmmm, wonder if there is any place for it in animal arthritic conditions??

Catsey Veteran

17-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Hmmmm, wonder if there is any place for it in animal arthritic conditions??
Maybe? - worth a google but it might be too new for any animal studies.

Catsey Veteran

17-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #5

Fran - getting way off the original 'human health' theme but I googled and didn't find a specific rosehip/animal reference. However, I thought this site was fascinating and I wonder if it might help some of the very long standing problems some members have with their cats?
http://www.ingraham.co.uk/casestudies/casevarious.htm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #6

Thanks for that DM, some very interesting stuff on there..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #7

Very interesting about the rosehip supplement. Mine (hands) is controlled well by Glucosamine Chondroitin, but think I might give this a try also...you never know.......